|Me with my sign I made for a rally against 45's corruption|
What's going on: So, last week, I said it was looking like the GOP's healthcare bill might be dead in the water. Well, this week, that's all out the window. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has suddenly started pressuring Republican senators to come up with a new healthcare bill by the end of June so that they can vote on it before the July 4th recess. Not only that, but they're trying to get this bill passed without any hearings, committee markups, or amendments, and without sharing it with the public. They want to take away our healthcare behind closed doors before we even know what hit us. We can't let that happen.
All hands on deck! This is not a drill! Word on the virtual street is that members of Congress (MoC) have reported quiet phone lines lately. We can't let that happen either! It's time to get on the phones, send emails and faxes, visit our senators, attend their events, camp out outside their offices, whatever we have to do to stop this bill from being passed. If it's anything like the AHCA (which it most likely will be), it will cause at least 23 million Americans to lose their health insurance, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
What you can do: Use the following links to get informed, contact your senators, and tell them to leave the Affordable Care Act (ACA) alone. Check out My Favorite Tools for the Resistance for easy ways to find information and send voicemails, faxes and emails.
- Trumpcare Tool Kits: Use these tool kits to learn more about current threats to healthcare and take action:
- From Civic Action: https://act.civicaction.com/co/trumpcare-senate
- From Center for American Progress Action Fund: https://trumpcaretoolkit.org/
- From Indivisible:
- Call Tools and Scripts:
- From The Loyal Opposition:
- From Planned Parenthood: https://www.istandwithpp.org/call
- From 2 Hours a Week:
- From Organizing for Action: https://www.ofa.us/keep-speaking-out/
- June 14th - National Senate Call-In Day: Indivisible has declared Wednesday, June 14th, National Senate Call-in Day. That's the day that everyone should be on the phones, calling our senators and telling them to reject the new healthcare bill and leave the ACA alone. RSVP for the event here:
- June 15th - National Healthcare Human Right Call: On Thursday, June 15th, at 9pm ET/6pm PT, People Demanding Action is holding a conference call to discuss their plans to help protect our healthcare. RSVP for the call here:
- Letter to the Editor: Use this tool to send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper and share why the ACA is important to you: https://www.ofa.us/get-involved/lte/
- Send a Video: Use this tool to record a video about why the ACA is important to you and send it to your senators: https://tellyourreps.com/trumpcare/
- Email Forms:
- From the Alzheimer's Association:
- From Planned Parenthood:
- From a group of senators, representatives, and organizations:
- From Senator Elizabeth Warren: http://my.elizabethwarren.com/page/s/notrumpcare
- From Senator Richard Blumenthal:
- From Senator Debbie Stabenow: https://act.myngp.com/Forms/5804144362527262720
- From Senator Ed Markey: http://www.edmarkey.com/landing/e170612/
- From Emily's List:
- From MomsRising:
- From Other98:
- From AFL-CIO and Americans for Tax Fairness:
- From NARAL Pro-Choice America:
Collusion + Obstruction + Emoluments = IMPEACHMENT!
What's going on: The big news last week was former FBI Director James Comey's testimony before the Senate Intelligence Committee, where he stated that 45 told him to make the Russian investigation go away. A former Watergate prosecutor said that this is sufficient evidence for an obstruction of justice case against 45. Tomorrow, Attorney General Jeff Sessions will testify in a public hearing. Rumors are going around that 45 plans to fire Robert Mueller, who was recently appointed as special counsel in the investigation.
Yesterday, the attorneys general of D.C. and Maryland filed a lawsuit against 45 for violating the emoluments clauses of the Constitution by accepting payments and benefits from foreign governments. All of this, along with the distinct possibility that 45 colluded with Russia to interfere in the 2016 presidential election, may be sufficient cause for impeachment charges. Yeah, that's right. It's time to start calling for impeachment (unless you're like me and you've been calling for it from day one).
What you can do: Use the following links to contact your MoC and demand that they hold 45 accountable.
- Call your MoC: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-june-7th-2017/
- Sign a petition: https://petitions.signforgood.com/trumplawsuit
- Call your representative:
- Join the nationwide Impeachment March on July 2nd: http://www.impeachmentmarch.org/
- Email your MoC: https://countryoverparty.cc/
- Sign a petition:
- From Senator Dick Durbin:
- From Senator Chris Murphy:
- From Senator Martin Heinrich:
- From Senator Cory Booker:
- From Free Speech for the People:
- From CREDO Action: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/no_trump_fbi_director
- From MomsRising: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/Comey_IndCommission/
What's going on: FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has a plan to kill net neutrality by allowing Internet service providers to block web pages, slow down their competitors' Internet traffic, and create online fast lanes by charging tech giants for faster delivery of music, movies, TV shows, and other streaming content. The FCC is currently accepting public comments on the plan.
What you can do:
- Call your MoC: https://www.battleforthenet.com/?call=1
- Leave a public comment for the FCC:
- From Organizing for Action: https://www.ofa.us/protect-net-neutrality/
- From Freepress: http://act.freepress.net/letter/internet_fcc_nprm_nn_2017/
- Join the Internet-Wide Day of Action on July 12th: Several organizations and tech companies have come together to declare an Internet-Wide Day of Action on on July 12th. Sign up here to learn more and join in: https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/
- Sign a petition: https://secure.314action.org/page/s/stand-up-to-save-net-neutrality