Oops! Last night, I had to go to bed early so that I could get up early today for an appointment, and I totally forgot to post something letting you all know that I wouldn't be blogging as usual. My bad! Everything's cool, I just wasn't up until my usual 7-8am, so I didn't have time to put together the blog. There will be a few more days like that next week. I'll try to remember to warn you. Moving on...
URGENT - Healthcare
The most important thing we need to focus on right now is healthcare. Republicans in the House are pushing for a vote TOMORROW (Thursday, May 4th) on their new bill to repeal and "replace" the Affordable Care Act (ACA) with a terrible plan that would take away healthcare from millions of Americans. Many representatives have announced their opposition to the bill, but several are still on the fence. Here's how you can help kill Don'tCare again (hopefully for good this time).
- Call your representatives. If you're the type who can wake up early, get on the phone as soon as you can! Use one of the following links to call your representatives and tell them to oppose Don'tCare:
- If you or a loved one depend on the ACA for healthcare, use this link from the ACLU to call and share your personal story: https://www.aclu.org/feature/oppose-aca-repeal
- Alternately, use one of these scripts from Indivisible and Families USA to respond based on your representative's current position:
- Attend or host a rapid response event. MoveOn.org members are planning rapid response events to protest Don'tCare all over the country tomorrow. Use the following link to find an event near you or sign up to host your own:
Earlier today, FCC Chair Ajit Pai revealed his plan to destroy net neutrality by gutting rules that protect the free and open Internet. No net neutrality means Internet service providers can demand that companies and consumers pay fees for decent connection speeds and push those who can't pay into Internet "slow lanes." Here's how you can stop Pai's plan and save net neutrality.
- Submit a public comment. The FCC just opened their official comment period on Pai's plan to kill net neutrality. Use this tool from Fight for the Future to submit a comment opposing the plan: https://www.battleforthenet.com/
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition from a group of several progressive organizations opposing Pai's plan to kill net neutrality: https://petitions.signforgood.com/ProtectNetNeutrality/
Reports came out today that 45 plans to sign a so-called "religious liberty" executive order, which is basically a license to discriminate against the LGBTQ+ community. While 45 didn't sign the order today, he is now expected to sign it tomorrow as part of the "National Day of Prayer." Here's how you can help stop this order.
- Email the White House. Use this form from the ACLU to send an email directly to the White House and let 45 know that you strongly oppose this discriminatory executive order:
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petition from People for the American Way opposing the executive order: https://secure.pfaw.org/site/SPageNavigator/action.html?survey_id=12023