Today, Republicans in the House passed their healthcare bill that would repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and take away healthcare from at least 24 million Americans (I call it "Don'tCare"). This bill must still pass the Senate to have a chance of being made into law. Some Republican senators have stated that they will not vote on the House bill and will instead draft their own "repeal and replace" bill (?!). Either way, we need to fight to make sure that Republicans stop attacking the ACA by doing two important things:
- shaming House Republicans for supporting a plan that takes healthcare away from millions of Americans
- demanding that the Senate reject any plan to repeal the ACA
One of my subscribers, Debbie Tapp, sent me her thoughts on the vote today:
We are mourning again. Don't let it drag you down. The Senate says they let this happen so they can protect Obamacare.Here are some ways you can fight back right now.
November 8 was horrible. We set our sights on the Electoral College. We started writing letters. Emails. Petitions.
December 19 was awful. There was still a chance when they accepted the votes in January.
January 20 was a depressing day but we survived planning for January 21st and the Women's March.
We have made it through over 100 days. We have learned to fight. We have learned to make calls, send postcards, march, protest.
We will continue.
We have learned that we need to win back and control Congress. If Hillary had won, we would not have learned this.
Hillary Clinton would be an awesome president but she would have fought the same battles that Obama did - but worse as a woman.
Trump is doing the damage that he does because he is an extension of a Republican Congress. We must clip his wings and flip congress.
Make sure your friends, family and neighbors are registered to vote. Contact your Elections Offices. This link may have the info. https://www.eac.gov/voters/election-day-contact-information/
Find out if paper ballots are now being used. Ask what kind of systems and how they are protected from interference such as hacking.
Then, contact your governor, your state legislators. Make changes. It is up to you.
- Call your representative. Regardless of how your representative voted today, use the information and scripts at the following link to give them a call and tell them how you feel:
- Call your senators. Use the information and script at the following link to call your senators and urge them to reject Don'tCare: https://www.istandwithpp.org/call
- Email your Republican representative. If your representative is a Republican who voted for Don'tCare, use the following link to email them and tell them that you won't forget it when they're up for re-election: https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/letters/sign-and-send-a-letter-to-your-republican-member-of-congress-i-will-not-forget-your-vote-for-trumpcare
- Write a letter to the editor. Use the following link to send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper opposing Don'tCare: http://action.momsrising.org/lte/Healthcare_LTE_AHCA/
- Sign a petition condemning House Republicans. Sign the following petitions to let House Republicans know that their vote is unforgivable:
- From Common Defense: http://go.commondefensepac.com/page/s/trumpcare-is-betrayal
- From the Daily Kos: https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/petitions/sign-the-petition-fck-republicans
- Sign a petition telling the Senate to reject Don'tCare. Sign the following petitions to urge the Senate to reject Don'tCare and protect the ACA:
- From Sen. Maggie Hassan: http://act.maggiehassan.com/page/s/20170504_healthcare-house
- From Sen. Kamala Harris: http://go.kamalaharris.org/page/s/kh-ahca-petition
- From a group of congresspersons: https://petitions.signforgood.com/tellthegop
- From my Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf: http://action.wolfforpa.com/page/s/tell-the-senate-to-reject-trumpcare
- From Public Citizen: http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=13492
- From MomsRising.org: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/protect_ACA_reject_AHCA/
- Sign a petition for single payer healthcare. Sign the following petition to demand single payer "Medicare-for-all" healthcare: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/sign-if-you-agree-health-care-is-a-human-right-2
Subscriber Request - Net Neutrality
One of my subscribers, Stacey Edwards, asked me to keep posting this action because she feels that it's a very important issue, and I agree. So you got it, Stacey! Here's how you can help stop FCC Chairman Ajit Pai from destroying the free and open Internet:
- Submit a public comment. The FCC just opened their official comment period on Pai's plan to kill net neutrality. Use this tool from Fight for the Future to submit a comment opposing the plan: https://www.battleforthenet.com/
- May 7th - Twitter Storm for Rob Quist: On May 25th, a special election will be held for Montana's single House seat. Action Together Network is calling for a Twitter storm to support the Democratic candidate, Rob Quist, on Sunday, May 7th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT. Use the tools at the following link to join in: http://actiontogethernetwork.org/twitter-storm/
- June 3rd - March for Truth: On Saturday, June 3rd, marches will be held all over the country to demand an impartial investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election and ties to 45, his administration, and his associates. Learn more and find a march near you here: https://www.marchfortruth.info/