- Now through April 21st - Congressional Recess: Congress is currently on recess until April 21st. This is a "state work period," when your members of Congress (MoC) are required to be in their home states. It's the perfect time to let them you know what you think about how they've been doing what you think they should be doing.
To help you get started, the Town Hall Project and Center for American Progress Action Fund have come together to bring you Resistance Near Me, a central hub for progressive local resistance actions, including events, rallies, town halls, protests, and more. Check it out here:
- April 12th - Virtual Phone Bank to Stop Voter Suppression in New Hampshire: Republicans in the New Hampshire state Senate passed Senate Bill 3, which would create onerous requirements for new voters to prove their eligibility to vote in ways that many eligible voters can't actually meet. In a nutshell, new voters need costly documentation to demonstrate that they live in the state beyond simply providing evidence of their homes.
Tomorrow, April 12th, at 4:30pm ET/1:30pm PT, People for the American Way is holding a virtual phone bank to call voters in NH and tell them that this bill can still be stopped. Online training for the phone bank will begin at 4pm ET/1pm PT. Register here:
- July 1st - Rise Up 5K: On Saturday, July 1st, the Rise Up 5K will be held in over 300 cities nationwide. It will be the world's largest running/walking event in support of liberty, freedom, and justice for all. Proceeds from the event will go to various charities, including Planned Parenthood, the National Immigration Law Center, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Human Rights Campaign. If you can't find a 5K near you, you can join a virtual run. Learn more and register here: http://riseup5k.org/
The Environment - Climate Change
Recently, the Energy Department's climate office banned the use of the phrase "climate change." The same day, 45 signed an executive order to reverse most of President Obama's climate regulatory initiatives. Scott Pruitt, newly-elected head of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has stated publicly that he does not believe that human activity is a contributing factor in climate change. Clearly, 45's administration is so hell bent on ignoring the dangers of climate change that they don't even want to talk about it. Here's how you can help stop their plans:
- Email 45 and Secretary Zinke. Use the following link to send an email to 45 and Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and tell them that you oppose their rollbacks of President Obama's climate protections: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0075620
- Sign a petition. The attorneys general of nine states have filed a federal lawsuit against 45 for "illegally blocking cost-saving, pollution-cutting energy efficiency standards." Sign this petition to ask the attorneys general from all 50 states to join the lawsuit:
- Fiduciary Rule: The Department of Labor (DOL), at the direction of 45, is "examining" an Obama-era rule that protects working people from unscrupulous financial advisers. If this critical protection is rolled back, financial advisers will be able to continue providing conflicted advice that increases their commissions at the expense of consumers. The DOL is currently accepting public comments on the fiduciary rule. Submit a comment supporting it here:
- Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act: Both the House and Senate are currently considering The Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act, which would require the president to divest all financial assets that create a conflict of interest, something that 45 has refused to do (unlike all previous presidents). Use the following link to call your MoC and urge them to support this legislation: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-april-11th-2017/
- LGBTQ+ Issues: After HB2 became law in North Carolina last year, the NCAA pulled championship games from the state for failing to "assure a safe, healthy, discrimination-free atmosphere for all." NC's new law, HB 142, still singles out transgender people and bars local governments from protecting LGBTQ+ people through 2020. Yet the NCAA is now allowing NC to bid to host the championship games. Use the following link to email or print a letter to NCAA President Mark Emmert and tell him not to allow the championships to go to NC:
- 45's Budget: If lawmakers fail to pass a new spending bill before April 28th, our government will shut down. Yet Republicans are waiting until the last minute to make their plan public. 45's 2018 budget proposal guts spending for Meals on Wheels, cancer research and education, and many other essential programs. Congress can reject his proposal for next year by passing a clean spending bill for the rest of this year. Use the following link to email your MoC and tell them to pass a clean budget for 2017 before the government shuts down:
- Gun Violence: Yesterday morning in San Bernardino, California, a man with a history of domestic violence walked into North Park Elementary School, shot and killed his estranged wife, murdered a student, and wounded another before killing himself. There is bipartisan support in Congress for legislation that would keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers. Sign this petition to tell Congress to close the gaps in our gun laws that allow perpetrators of domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking from obtaining firearms:
- Muslim Issues: Since the election, American Muslims have increasingly been targeted by bigotry. Mosques have been burned, people killed, and families intimidated in their neighborhoods, workplaces, schools, houses of worship, and even their own homes. Muslim Advocates has created the Communities Against Hate initiative to track and respond to hate incidents and connect survivors to a host of social and legal services. Please share this form with your friends and family so that American Muslims know where to find help when they need it: https://muslimadvocates-securedform.formstack.com/forms/communities_against_hate