I want to thank all of my subscribers for bearing with me over the last two weeks. I had a lot of stuff going on with school and work (or lack thereof), and I needed some time off to address it all and catch my breath. Things have been happening very fast since the Resistance began, and it's important to take a break every now and then to fight fatigue and focus on self care. We are many, and there will always be someone there to hold the fort. If you were one of the people holding the fort while I was MIA, thank you! I'm happy to be back and ready to resist again.
If you feel like you need to take a break too, go for it! But don't give up! Check out this article for some inspiration: http://shareblue.com/dear-resistance-from-one-exhausted-yet-persistent-woman/
Scooby-dooby-doo, we've got some work to do now...
Beginning this week, Congress is taking another recess known as a "state work period," which means that your members of Congress (MoC) are required to be in their home states from April 10th to 21st. This is a great time to pay them a visit, give them a call, drop them a line, or attend a town hall (if your MoC actually holds one—I'm looking at you, Senator Toomey). Here are some resources you can use to make an impact during the recess.
- Resistance Toolkit: The Center for American Progress has created a Resistance Toolkit with talking points and information you can use to reach out to your MoC during the recess, whether you're at a town hall or at home. Check it out here: https://resistanceinyourpocket.com/
- Town Hall Project: This helpful website lists upcoming town halls all over the country. Find a town hall near you here: https://resistanceinyourpocket.com/
- Resistance Recess: This website is a combined effort of MoveOn.org, the Daily Kos, and the Town Hall Project. It lists all upcoming Resistance events during the recess, including town halls, rallies, and marches. Find an event near you here:
- April Recess Town Hall Sample Questions: Indivisible has created a list of tips and sample questions about important issues, which you can use when attending a town hall during the recess. Check it out here: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/april-recess-town-hall-sample-questions/
- April 13th - Reclaim Recess Webinar: On Thursday, April 13th, at 9pm ET/6pm PT, Indivisible is holding a webinar to discuss this recess's policy priorities and their latest tips on how to hold your MoC accountable. Register here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/reclaim-recess-april-13
This is a big month for Resistance Marches! We have three huge, nationwide marches coming up in the next few weeks. Information for each of them is below.
- April 15th - Tax March: On Saturday, April 15th (Tax Day), tax marches will be held all over the country to demand that 45 release his tax returns. Learn more and find a march near you here: http://taxmarch.org/
- April 22nd - March for Science: On Saturday, April 22nd (Earth Day), science marches will be held all over the world to support science, scientists, and evidence-based policymaking. You can even join the march from home by watching a livestream. Learn more and find a march near you here (click "register for a march" to find the virtual march option):
- April 29th - People's Climate Movement: On Saturday, April 29th, climate marches will be held all over the country to raise awareness of climate change and demand action to protect our climate. Learn more and find a march near you here: https://peoplesclimate.org/
Last week, 45 launched 59 missiles at Syria without approval from Congress (?!). He stated that the missiles were launched in response to a chemical weapons strike that killed over 100 people, stating, "Assad choked out the lives of helpless men, women, and children." He did not address the fact that he refuses to allow these same men, women, and children to seek refuge in the U.S. under his Muslim ban. Later, it was reported that Russian forces were notified in advance of the strike (surprise, surprise). Here's how you can help protect Syrian refugees and stop 45 from acting again without Congressional approval.
- Call your MoC. Use the following link to call your MoC and tell them that Congress must reassert its Constitutional duty and require 45 to obtain Congressional approval before any further military action: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-april-10th-2017/
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress that any debate over Syria must start with welcoming refugees: http://action.winwithoutwar.org/p/salsa/web/questionnaire/public/
45 recently revealed his budget proposal, which wastes billions of dollars beefing up our already massive defense budget and attacking immigrants while slashing funds for things like the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), public broadcasting, foreign aid, and Meals on Wheels. Here's how you can help stop it.
- Call your MoC. Use the following link to call your MoC and urge them not to approve any budget that guts protections for endangered species, funds 45's border wall, expands oil and gas drilling, or gives away control of public lands:
- Fax your MoC. Use the following link to fax some artwork to your MoC and urge them to protect the NEA: https://artifax.us/
- Email your MoC.
- Use the following link to email your MoC and tell them to protect our foreign aid budget: https://my.care.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app322a?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=719
- Use the following link to email your MoC and tell them to protect the EPA:
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to support the NO TRUMP Act (yes, that's what it's actually called), which would save money by blocking taxpayer dollars from flowing to hotels owned by the president or his relatives instead of slashing funding for important agencies and programs: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/no_trump_act
- LGBTQ+ Issues: Use the following link to record a video or send a message to your MoC telling them to protect the rights of LGBTQ+ Americans: http://www.e-activist.com/ea-action/broadcast.record.message.click.do?ea.url.id=899096
- Net Neutrality: Use the following links to Tweet FCC Chairman Ajit Pai and tell him to protect net neutrality:
- 45's Ties to Russia: Sign this petition to demand that Rep. Devin Nunes resign from his role as chair of the House Intelligence Committee: http://act.couragecampaign.org/sign/NunesResign/
- Government Shutdown: Sign this petition to tell Democrats in Congress to hold the line against Republican threats of a government shutdown: