Affordable Care Act
Yesterday, Republicans in Congress unveiled their insufficient plan to "replace" the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The plan has faced criticism by Conservatives who argue that the draft is nothing more than "Obamacare Lite," moderates who want to keep the Medicaid expansion, and influential industry groups like AARP and the American Hospital Association. Democrats are pushing for a review by the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) before the plan can be brought to a vote. Here's how you can help keep up the pressure to reject the new plan and protect the ACA.
- Call your members of Congress. Find your members of Congress (MoC) at the following link and use the script below from re:act to call and ask them to fight to protect the ACA:
Hello, I am [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m calling about the efforts to replace the Affordable Care Act. I want [REPRESENTATIVE X] to commit to a transparent process for any potential replacement bill. Will you commit, publicly, to opposing any congressional action on ANY ACA repeal bill without a transparent and deliberative process, including a public CBO "score," which will let us know how much it costs and how many will lose their insurance?
You can also fax your MoC online for free using FaxZero at the following links:
Part of the GOP's plan to "replace" the ACA involves "defunding" Planned Parenthood (for some reason). Over 2.5 million Americans depend on Planned Parenthood for their healthcare. Here's how you can help protect it.
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions to urge Congress not to defund Planned Parenthood:
- From CREDO Action: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/protect_pp
- From People for the American Way:
- Email Tom Price. Newly confirmed Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price is poised to attack access to birth control. Use this form to email him and demand that he protect full insurance coverage of birth control with no copay:
Neil Gorsuch, Supreme Court
Throughout his career on the Tenth Circuit Court, Judge Neil Gorsuch demonstrated little to no understanding of sexual harassment in the real world, shrugged off corporate negligence that led to a worker’s death, and ruled against a disability claim by an employee recovering from leukemia. He has repeatedly ruled against students with disabilities who seek public education, consistently sided with big businesses at the expense of working people, embraced views that could put workers' rights in danger on issues like employment discrimination, worker safety, and wages, and more.
When President Obama nominated Judge Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court, Republicans refused to even give him a hearing. The vote to confirm Gorsuch is scheduled for Monday, March 20th. Here's how you can help block him.
- Call your senators. Find your senators at the following link and use the script below from People for the American Way to call and urge them to oppose Gorsuch:
Hello, I’m [your name] from [your city/town]. I’m calling to ask you to oppose the nomination of Judge Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court. His record shows a long history of siding with corporations over every day Americans like me, and his decisions and votes have consistently put corporate interests over people’s lives. Please oppose Neil Gorsuch.
You can also fax your senators for free using FaxZero here: https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php
- Email your senators. Use the following links to email your senators and urge them to oppose Gorsuch:
- From the Sierra Club: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0072948
- From the National Education Association: http://edadvocacy.nea.org/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=301253
Rod Rosenstein, Deputy Attorney General
Rosenstein's confirmation hearing in the Senate Judiciary Committee is scheduled for Tuesday, March 21st. Democrats on the Committee have stated that Rosenstein should only be confirmed if he agrees to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate 45's ties to Russia. If all of the Democrats on the Committee make their vote contingent on a special prosecutor, and they are joined by at least one Republican, the Judiciary Committee will return an unfavorable recommendation. Here's how you can help make sure Rosenstein isn't confirmed unless he agrees to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate 45.
- Call your senators. Use the following link to call your senators and urge them to vote no on Rosenstein's nomination unless he agrees to appoint a special prosecutor:
45's Ties to Russia
Last week, a meeting between 45 and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak during 45's campaign resurfaced after it was revealed that at least five members of his campaign team, including Jeff Sessions, had contact with Kislak before 45 took office. Yet a White House spokesperson still claims that 45 had "zero" involvement with Russian officials during his campaign (?!). Meanwhile, 45 continues to insist that President Obama wiretapped the phones in one of his hotels (??!!). Here's how you can help ensure that a thorough, independent investigation into 45's ties to Russia is completed.
- Call your MoC. Use the following link to call your MoC and demand that Jeff Sessions resign due to his lies about his ties to Russia during his confirmation hearing:
- Sign a petition for an independent investigation. Sign this petition to demand an independent investigation into 45's ties to Russia: https://www.alfranken.com/landing/e170308/
- Sign a petition for Rep. Nunes to resign. House Intelligence Committee Chair Rep. Devin Nunes is in charge of investigating 45's ties to Russia, but he's one of 45's most committed allies. Sign this petition to demand that he resign from his role as chair of the Committee:
On Monday, 45 revealed his revised Muslim ban, which is much the same as the old Muslim ban, targeting the same seven Muslim-majority countries. Meanwhile, ICE agents continue to detain undocumented immigrants all over the country. Despite 45's promise after his election to use ICE agents to target violent criminals, the recent raids have focused mainly on non-criminals. Here's how you can help stand up for immigrants and refugees in your community.
- Call your MoC. Find your MoC at the following link and use the script below from re:act to call and demand the release of Daniela Vargas, a DACA beneficiary who was recently detained after speaking at a press conference about her fears of being deported:
Hello, my name is [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m a constituent calling about the recent ICE raids, and particularly the case of Daniela Vargas. Daniela was brought here when she was 7 and had previously been a recipient of DACA. She was arrested by ICE after speaking out at a press conference, and is now faced with being deported without a hearing. Will [REPRESENTATIVE X] do everything in his/her power to stop the deportation of Daniela Vargas, and other DREAMers like her?
- Join Register Me First. Today, the Council on American-Islamic Relations launched a "Register Me First" website designed to challenge 45's Islamophobic policies, including the Muslim ban and a proposed Muslim registry. The website provides an opportunity for anyone who wants to oppose the Muslim Ban, any future Muslim registry, or other unconstitutional actions by 45's administration to join the broader movement challenging those unjust policies. Sign up here: https://registermefirst.com/
- March 7th-10th - Native Nations Rise Tipi Camp and March on DC: The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and Indigenous grassroots leaders are calling on their allies across the U.S. and around the world to peacefully March on Washington, D.C. They ask that you rise in solidarity with Indigenous Peoples across the world and demand that Indigenous Rights be respected. Standing Rock and Native Peoples from across Turtle will lead a march in prayer and action on March 10th, with other events beginning March 7th. Learn more and RSVP here:
- March 9th - Protecting the ACA Webinar: Tomorrow, Thursday, March 9th, at 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT, InsurePA is hosting a webinar to dive deeper into the latest repeal bill, campaign strategy, and the latest messaging for individuals and groups planning grassroots mobilization over the coming weeks. Register for the webinar here:
- March 9th - Immigration Campaign Call: Tomorrow, Thursday, March 9th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, Organizing for Action is hosting a conference call with experts in the field of immigration reform to discuss how you can get involved and what you can do to fight back against 45's anti-immigrant agenda. Register for the call here:
- Net Neutrality: Sign this petition to demand that FCC Chairman Ajit Pai leave the open Internet alone and protect net neutrality:
- Special Elections - James Thompson: Democratic Candidate for Congress in Kansas's Fourth District, James Thompson, is holding a series of canvassing and phone banking events this weekend. If you live in Kansas, find an event near you and sign up here:
- Election Assistance Commission: House Republicans just voted to eliminate the Election Assistance Commission, the only federal agency that makes sure voting machines can't be hacked. Sign this petition to tell Congress not to make it easier to hack elections:
- Breitbart Ads: Over 1,300 companies have pulled their advertising from Breitbart thanks to Sleeping Giants, but Amazon.com still has not followed suit. Copy and paste the following Tweet to tell them you'll boycott until they pull their advertising:
.@amazonhelp if your ad $ supports #Breitbart then I can't support you #NotBuyingIt @slpng_giants
- Conflicts of Interest Rule: The Department of Labor (DoL) has just announced a proposal to delay the implementation of a new rule that protects retirement savers from conflicts of interest in retirement advice. Use this form to email the DoL and urge them not to delay the Conflicts of Interest Rule: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/test-dont-delay-the-conflict-of-interest-rule
- Impeach 45: Recently the city council of Richmond, CA approved a resolution to become the first city to call on Congress to launch an impeachment investigation of 45. Last night, two more communities approved the resolution: Alameda, CA, and Charlotte, VT. The creators of the popular impeachment petition (currently up to almost 900,000 signatures) have designed tools to help you pass the resolution in your community. Learn more here: