Today's top story is that according to the Justice Department, Attorney General Jeff Sessions met twice last year with Russian diplomat Sergey Kislyak, one of Russia's top spies in Washington whose interactions with former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn led to Flynn's resigning. During his confirmation hearings, Sessions said that he knew of no contacts between 45 surrogates and Russians and declined to mention these meetings.
Tonight, Representatives Devin Nunes (R-Calif) and Adam Schiff (D-Calif) released a statement announcing that the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence will launch an extensive investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 elections. It's the first notable moment of bipartisanship for the committee since the allegations came out. Here's how you can keep up the pressure and ensure that the investigation moves forward without partisan interference.
- Call your members of Congress. Call the Capitol Hill switchboard at 202-224-3121 to be connected to your members of Congress (MoC) and use the script below from re:act to urge them to support a new select committee to investigation 45's ties to Russia:
Hello, my name is [X] from [CITY]. After what we’ve learned about the coordination between the White House and the committee chairmen who are supposed to be conducting an investigation, I am asking [REPRESENTATIVE X] to support a new, bipartisan select committee with public hearings. I think these hearings should include testimony from former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn. Will [REPRESENTATIVE X] publicly support this?
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petition demanding that Jeff Sessions resign and a special prosecutor be appointed to lead the investigation: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/sessions-must-go-special
Immigration - ICE Raids
Officials said yesterday that Iraq will be removed from 45's new Muslim ban executive order, which he is expected to sign in the next few days. Meanwhile, 61 law enforcement heads from around the country sent a letter to 45 asking him to soften his aggressive drive to enlist police officers in deporting millions of undocumented immigrants. Here's how you can stand with these law enforcement officials and help protect immigrants from ICE raids and deportation.
- Write a letter to the editor. Use Organizing for Action's letter writing tool to write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper about why you support immigrants in your community:
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress to stop human rights abuses in the name of immigration enforcement: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/immigrants/
The Environment - Public Lands
Rep. Ryan Zinke was recently confirmed to lead the Department of the Interior. Zinke is a climate denier with a lifetime record of voting against the environment 96% of the time. Meanwhile, a new bill has been introduced in the Senate called SJRes15, which would release 250 million acres of public lands for mining and oil digging. Here's how you can help protect protect our public lands.
- Call Zinke. Use the information at the following link to call Zinke and tell him not to give our public lands to coal companies: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0072536
- Send a postcard to your senators. Use the information at the links below to send a postcard to your senators asking them to oppose SJRes15:
- Find your senators here: https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
- Script: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0k1qCMVpKZpSHppZ0lsLWhudmM/view
- Email your MoC. Use this form to email your MoC and ask them to step up and protect our public lands: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0072497
Healthcare - Affordable Care Act
Yesterday, 45 said to a group of governors at the White House, "Nobody knew healthcare could be so complicated" (?!). Republican governors around the country are now divided on replacing the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Reports show that Republicans in Congress are dragging their feet on the repeal due to public pressure (keep it up!). Today, House Republicans announced that they will release their plan tomorrow morning, but that it would only be made available to Republicans (??!!). Here's how you can help protect the ACA.
- Call Catholic Republicans in Congress. Appeal to the Catholic faith of Speaker Paul Ryan, Rep. Tim Murphy, and Rep. Steve Scalise by calling them at the following numbers and using the script below from NETWORK Lobby for Catholic Social Justice to urge them not to repeal the ACA without a suitable replacement:
- Ryan: 1-888-422-4555
- Murphy: 1-888-496-3502
- Scalise: 1-888-885-1748
- Email your senators. Use this form to email your senators and urge them to oppose repealing the ACA: http://participate.lwv.org/c/10065/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=12595
(Yes, he has his own category now.) Bannon is the former editor of Breitbart, the white nationalist "news" company, and he has used his platforms to spread anti-Muslim hate and conspiracy theories. He's reported to have crafted 45's unconstitutional Muslim ban and convinced 45 to sign the executive order placing him on the National Security Council (NSC). Bannon was also at the dinner when 45 gave the order to send Navy SEALs into Yemen for a raid that left Chief Petty Officer Ryan Owens and as many as dozens of civilians dead, including an eight-year-old American girl. Here's how you can help get Bannon off of the NSC and out of the White House.
- Email your MoC. Use this form to email your MoC and urge them to support legislation to remove Bannon from the NSC: https://act.mpowerchange.org/sign/stop-bannon-nsc/
- Sign a petition to investigate Bannon's involvement in the Yemen raid. Sign this petition to tell Congress to investigate the process used by 45 to authorize the raid in Yemen, including Bannon's involvement: http://action.votevets.org/page/s/yemen-raid
- Sign a petition telling Shopify to dump Breitbart. Thanks to the combined efforts of Sleeping Giants and SumOfUs, 1,300 companies have dropped their advertising from Breitbart. The largest company left is Shopify, the Canadian e-commerce company that runs Breitbart's online store. Sign this petition to tell Shopify to end their relationship with Breitbart:
45's Budget Plan
45's recently announced budget plan will propose a $54 billion increase in defense spending while slashing domestic programs by the same amount. An official said that details about tax cuts and entitlement programs, including Social Security and Medicare, will come later. The U.S. spends more on the military than the next seven countries combined. 45's pitch includes a 37% cut to the State Department budget. Here's how you can help block 45's budget proposal.
- Call your MoC. Find your MoC at the following link and use the script below from re:act to call them and urge them to oppose 45's budget plan: https://www.callmycongress.com/
My name is [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m calling [REPRESENTATIVE X] about President Trump’s proposed budget. The current outline will slash funding for the State Department, foreign aid, and every domestic agency — while adding $54B in military spending, when we already spend more than the next seven countries combined. Will [REPRESENTATIVE X] pledge to oppose and fight the outlines of this plan?
- Email your MoC. Use this form to email your MoC and tell them to reject 45's budget proposal: http://action.winwithoutwar.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=21118
A fellow member of the Action Alliance has developed a new app called iMarch, a 31-day digital "march" on Washington that provides you with daily resistance acts you take with the tap of a screen. Become a digital "apptivist" by downloading iMarch for iPhone at the following link (Android app coming soon):
Follow the iMarch Facebook page for more information and updates:
Follow the iMarch Facebook page for more information and updates:
- Upcoming Event - Defend Obamacare Briefing Call: Tomorrow, March 2nd, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, Organizing for Action is holding a briefing call to go over what's next for the fight for affordable healthcare. Register for the call here:
- Elections - Run for Office: One of the best ways to resist 45's administration is to run for office at any level. Run for Something is recruiting and supporting talented, passionate, young people who advocate for progressive values. Learn more and sign up here:
- Net Neutrality: FCC Chairman Ajit Pai is poised to attack net neutrality and hand over the free and open Internet to a small handful of multinational corporations. Sign this petition to tell Congress and the FCC not to destroy net neutrality:
- Antisemitic Attacks: In addition to the desecration of Jewish cemeteries, bomb threats against Jewish community centers are increasing and have now affected 11 states. While speaking to a group of attorneys general from around the country, 45 implied that Democrats were committing these attacks in order make him look bad (?!). Call the Republican Jewish Coalition at 202-638-6688 (or email them at RJC@rjchq.org) and use the script below from Rogan's List to ask them to speak out against these attacks:
Hi. I'm calling today about the epidemic of bomb threats at Jewish schools and centers around the country - today there are reports of threats in 11 states in addition to the desecrated cemeteries in St. Louis and Philadelphia. I'm concerned that as representatives of President Trump's party, the Republican Jewish Coalition has been silent on these matters. I urge you to make a statement condemning these threats, and publicly confront President Trump and the rest of the GOP for their complicit silence on this matter. If there is no connection of these threats to the GOP, then you all should condemn these actions and encourage your peers to stand with you. If no one raises a voice, we risk allowing these threats to become real. As Republicans, you have a duty and are entitled to ask more of your party. I implore you to take action today. Thank you.
- Right-to-work Laws: Republican lawmakers in Congress and state legislatures are aggressively pushing "right-to-work" laws, paving the way for corporations to increase their power in workplaces and state and national politics. These policies will lead to weaker unions, less bargaining power for working people, and lower wages. Sign this petition to tell congressional and state lawmakers that "right-to-work" is bad for your state and the country: