The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) reported this week that the Republican plan to repeal and "replace" the Affordable Care Act (ACA) would cause 14 million Americans to lose their healthcare coverage by next year, and 24 million to lose coverage over the next decade. Today, the executive branch analysis estimated that 26 million people would lose coverage over the next decade. Republicans, as usual, are denying the facts and claiming that the predictions are wrong.
The new plan, which I like to call "Don't Care," is breaking all of the promises made by 45 and the Republicans in Congress, which is probably why they're trying to rush it through, despite previously criticizing President Obama for allegedly rushing through the ACA (he didn't). Many conservatives are reacting negatively to the CBO report, casting doubt on the plan's viability. So far, 15 Republicans members of Congress have publicly stated that they have concerns about Don't Care. Here's how you can help stop Don't Care and protect the ACA.
- Call your members of Congress. Use the following link to call your members of Congress (MoC) and tell them to oppose Don't Care: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-to-action-march-14th-2017/
- Share your story. The White House is asking for Americans to share their experiences with the ACA, clearly expecting the responses to be negative. Prove them wrong and share your story here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/obamacare-share-your-story
Yesterday, several states filed court papers to stop 45's new Muslim ban from taking effect on Thursday. Senator Chris Murphy has also introduced a bill called S 248, which would prohibit the implementation of the ban. The new ban is being called "Muslim Ban 2.0" because it's basically SBDD: same ban, different day. It still bars refugees from entering the country for 120 days and bars travelers and immigrants from six Muslim majority countries for 90 days, but it now allows exceptions for existing visa holders and legal permanent residents.
Meanwhile, 45 has been threatening to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which provides temporary stays of deportation and work permits for young undocumented students and veterans who were raised as Americans. Proposed legislation called the Bar Removal of Individuals who Dream and Grow Our Economy (BRIDGE) Act would protect DACA recipients by continuing to provide them with temporary stays of deportation of work permits, even if DACA is discontinued. Here's how you can fight against 45's anti-immigrant agenda and support immigrants and refugees:
- Call your senators about Muslim Ban 2.0. Find your senators at the following link and use the script below from my home state of Pennsylvania's own Tuesdays with Toomey to urge them to support S 248: https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
Hi, my name is [NAME] and I'm a constituent from [CITY, ZIP]. I'm calling to support Chris Murphy's bill, S 248, to prohibit the implementation of the revised travel ban Executive Order. It is clear that its purpose is not to improve national security but to discriminate against Muslim immigrants.
- Call your senators about the BRIDGE Act. Find your senators at the following link and use the script below from Tuesdays with Toomey to urge them to support the BRIDGE Act:
Hello, my name is [NAME] and I’m calling from [CITY, ZIP]. I’m calling to urge Senator [NAME] to support the BRIDGE Act S.128 Senate. The BRIDGE Act will protect undocumented students and veterans from deportation, and it will allow them to continue contributing to our American communities.
[Optional: include a brief story about someone you know who has been or will be affected by DACA/BRIDGE Act.]
LGBTQ+ Issues - Attacks on Transgender Americans
Last month, 45's administration withdrew federal protections for transgender students. Soon after, the Supreme Court sent the case of Gavin Grimm, a transgender student fighting for permission to use the restrooms that correspond to his gender identity, back to a lower court, arguing that the removal of these protections made the prior ruling invalid.
Meanwhile, transgender people are being murdered at an alarming rate. So far in 2017, seven transgender women have been murdered. The trend is currently on track to beat last year's record of 27. Here's how you can support and stand up for transgender people around the country.
- Call your governor. Use the following link to call your governor and demand that they publicly commit to vetoing attacks on transgender bathroom access: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/past/transRights.html
- Sign a petition. For a year, LGBTQ+ elected officials and advocates in North Carolina have been fighting to repeal HB2, the infamous law that legalizes discrimination. The majority of North Carolina voters want the law gone. Sign this petition to demand that North Carolina legislators stop the endless delays and repeal HB2 now:
- March 15th - Muslim Ban 2.0 Call-in and Q&A: Tomorrow, Wednesday, March 15th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, RISE Stronger and Emerge USA are holding a conference call to discuss the impact of Muslim Ban 2.0 on civil liberties in the U.S. and efforts in Congress to designate the Muslim Brotherhood as a foreign terrorist organization. Learn more and RSVP for the call here:
- March 16th and 17th - Congressional Stakeouts to Save Healthcare: This Thursday and Friday, March 16th and 17th, from 7:30am to 7:30pm, MoveOn.org is calling for Americans to join stakeouts outside their MoC's offices to stop the repeal of the ACA. Learn more and find a stakeout near you here: https://act.moveon.org/event/healthcare-stakeoutAttendee/
- March 21st - Self Esteem, Self Expression, and Self Love for Activists Webinar: On Tuesday, March 21st, at 7pm ET/4pm PT, Reproaction is hosting an Act and Learn webinar to explore the concept of radical self love and why it's critical for activists and address concepts of play, the arts, and self expression. Register for the webinar here:
- March 21st - #KeepMarching Telephone Town Hall on Government and Civics: On Tuesday, March 21st, at 9pm ET/6pm PT, MomsRising is hosting a telephone town hall to discuss U.S. government and civics, including topics such as how a bill becomes a law and how the branches of government interact. Learn more and RSVP here:
- SCRUB Act: Use the following links to call your MoC and urge them to oppose the Searching for and Cutting Regulations that are Unnecessarily Burdensome (SCRUB) Act (yes, that's the actual name):
- REINS Act: Use the following link to call the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs and urge them to oppose the Regulations from the Executive in Need of Scrutiny (REINS) Act: https://5calls.org/#issue/recesZBPgCxPOfZYZ
- 3NoTrump Weekly Actions: Use the following links to make three phone calls opposing Neil Gorsuch for Supreme Court, illogical gun laws, and hate crimes against Muslims:
- The Eyes of March: Join the postcard avalanche starting March 15th to let 45, his cabinet, and your MoC know that we're watching what they're doing and we'll hold them accountable for their actions: http://wewatchandwevote.com/
- Fiduciary Rule: Use the following link to send a public comment to the Department of Labor supporting the fiduciary rule: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/dont-let-wall-street-drain-our-retirement-accounts
- Jeff Sessions: Sign this petition to demand that Jeff Sessions resign as Attorney General:
- Steve Bannon: Sign this petition to tell Congress to remove Steve Bannon from the National Security Council: http://act.demandprogress.org/sign/remove-bannon-natsec/
- EPA: Sign this petition to urge the House to vote no on a bill that would terminate the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): https://act.credoaction.com/sign/dont_destroy_epa
- Impeach 45: Sign this petition to demand that 45 be immediately impeached: