Thanks to everyone for your well wishes today! I feel loved! ❤ I'm definitely feeling better and ready to get back to resisting!
BREAKING - Healthcare
Huge news! Today, Republicans in Congress caved to the pressure and "postponed" the vote on their plan to repeal and "replace" the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which I call "Don't Care." How fitting that on the anniversary of the ACA it was upheld once again. To everyone who marched, protested, and called, emailed, faxed, wrote letters, Tweeted, and Facebook messaged your representatives, great work! The day the ACA was passed, a live microphone accidentally picked up Vice President Joe Biden calling it "a big f***ing deal." Today we made another BFD happen.
But our work is not over! The Republicans are likely to try to re-work Don't Care and put it up for a vote again, so we have to keep it up! Here are some ways you can let the House know that we don't want the current or any future versions of Don't Care to be passed. (Note: Some of these links are from yesterday or earlier today and written as if the vote is about to happen, but they're still good to use today!)
- Call your members of Congress. Use the following links to call your members of Congress (MoC) and tell them to vote NO on any plan to repeal the ACA:
- From 2 Hours a Week: http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=542e52557cb249fb2535906ea&id=a882f2f8a2&e=afc55cc194
- From The Loyal Opposition: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-to-action-march-23rd-2017/
- From People's Action: https://peoplesaction.org/kill-this-bill-before-it-kills-us/
- From Courage Campaign: http://act.couragecampaign.org/call/trumpcarecalls/
- From Planned Parenthood: https://www.istandwithpp.org/call/house-2b
- Email your representative. Use the following link to email your representative and tell them to vote NO on Don't Care or any other bill that would repeal the ACA:
- Write a letter to the editor. Use the following link to write a letter to the editor of your local paper in support of the ACA: http://action.momsrising.org/lte/Healthcare_LTE/?t=4&akid=8939.2467805.tM6kug
- Join a Thunderclap. Thunderclap automatically shares a message on social media at a specified time for each person who signs up. Join a Thunderclap to stop Don't Care from defunding Planned Parenthood here: http://ppact.io/ProtectPPFACare
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions opposing Don't Care:
- From Senator Chris Murphy: http://action.chrismurphy.com/page/s/oppose-trumpcare
- From The United State of Women: https://act.myngp.com/Forms/-933987855539959040
- From VoteVets.org: http://action.votevets.org/page/s/no-trumpcare
- From the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee:
- From Pennsylvania Lieutenant Governor Mike Stack:
45's nominee for the Supreme Court, Neil Gorsuch, has a long record of opposing reproductive choice and putting corporations before people. His seat should have gone to President Obama's nominee, Merrick Garland, but in an unprecedented move, Republicans in Congress refused to even vote on him! Gorsuch's confirmation hearings began on Monday. Here's how you can help block his nomination.
- Call your senators. Use the following links to call your senators and tell them to vote NO on Gorsuch:
- From The Loyal Opposition: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-march-22nd-2017/
- From the Human Rights Campaign: http://act.hrc.org/ea-campaign/action.retrievestaticpage.do?ea_static_page_id=5736
- From the National Abortion Federation: http://cqrcengage.com/prochoice/app/make-a-call?1&engagementId=315754
- Email your senators. Use the following link to email your senators and tell them to vote no on Gorsuch: http://edadvocacy.nea.org/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=301253
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions opposing Gorsuch:
- From NARAL Pro-Choice America: http://actnow.prochoiceamerica.org/sign/170322-gorsuch-hearings/
- From Democracy for America: http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/scotus-trump-russia/
- From the League of Conservation Voters:
- From Common Defense: http://nogorsuch.org/
45's Ties to Russia
Yesterday it was reported that House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes bypassed Democrats and went straight to the White House with information that showed intelligence agencies may have "incidentally" picked up communications of 45's transition team members (while monitoring foreign officials, so... Russia?). This raised questions about Nunes's ability to lead an impartial investigation into 45's Russian ties. Here's how you can help ensure that a thorough, nonpartisan investigation is completed.
- Call your MoC. Use the following links to call your MoC and demand an independent investigation of 45's ties to Russia:
- From TrumpResistance.TODAY: https://trumpresistance.today/2017/03/22/5-minute-action-for-wednesday-322-trump-in-quicksand-dont-let-him-out/
- From 5 Calls: https://5calls.org/#issue/recBXMKE9BSY4zzGU
- Email your MoC. Use the following link to email your MoC and demand that they appoint a special prosecutor to lead the investigation: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-immediately-investigate-trumps-ties-to-russia
This week, 45 unveiled his new budget, which unnecessarily dumps billions into the military while gutting the EPA and other science agencies, public education, public broadcasting, assistance programs for low-income and elderly Americans (like Meals on Wheels), and the arts. Here's how you can help stop it.
- Call your MoC. Call the Capitol Hill switchboard at 202-224-3121 and enter your ZIP code to be connected to your MoC, then use the script below from re:act to urge them to oppose 45's budget:
My name is [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m calling [SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE X] about President Trump’s proposed budget. The current outline will slash funding for the State Department, foreign aid, and every domestic agency — while adding $54B in military spending, when we already spend more than the next seven countries combined. Will [SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE X] pledge to oppose and fight the outlines of this plan?
- Email your MoC. Use the following link to email your MoC and urge them to oppose 45's cuts to the EPA: https://engage.us.greenpeace.org/onlineactions/ezFnXSkJOU-OBQVTKJ0aCQ2
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions opposing 45's budget:
- From Really American: https://actionsprout.io/BC4C0B
- From People Demanding Action: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/we-need-a-peoples-budget-progcongress
Last week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson signaled that 45's administration was prepared to scrap nearly a decade of U.S. policy toward North Korea in favor of a more aggressive effort to eliminate the country’s nuclear weapons program. He warned that preemptive action was "on the table" (?!).
On Tuesday, a North Korean envoy said that the country will pursue "acceleration" of its nuclear and missile programs. This includes developing a "preemptive first strike capability" and an inter-continental ballistic missile (ICBM). Here's how you can help make sure that Tillerson and Congress continue pursuing diplomatic relations with North Korea.
- Call your MoC. Call the Capitol Hill switchboard at 202-224-3121 and enter your ZIP code to be connected to your MoC, then use the script below from re:act to urge them to evaluate and use all possible diplomatic approaches with North Korea:
My name is [NAME] from [PLACE]. I’m really concerned about Secretary Tillerson’s recent remarks that diplomacy has failed on North Korea. Can I ask [SENATOR/REPRESENTATIVE X] to support any efforts to encourage this administration to evaluate and use all possible diplomatic approaches in regards to North Korea, before considering other actions?
- Email your MoC and Tillerson. Use the following link to email your MoC and Tillerson and urge them to pursue a diplomatic resolution to the conflict with North Korea:
- Webinar Recording: On Tuesday, Reproaction hosted a webinar called "Take the Next Step: Self-Esteem, Self-Expression, and Self-Love for Activists," which explored the concept of radical self-love and why it's critical for activists. If you missed it, you can watch a recording of it here: http://reproaction.org/2017/03/14/reproaction-act-and-learn-webinar-321-self-esteem-self-expression-and-self-love-for-activists/
- LGBTQ+ Issues: 45's administration is trying to remove LGBTQ+ elders from a critically important national survey of older adults that helps the government decide how to spend billions of dollars on senior centers, Meals on Wheels, and other essential elder services. Use the following link to email 45 and tell him that LGBTQ+ elders count:
- Voting Rights: 45 has repeatedly made false claims of widespread "voter fraud" during the 2016 presidential election. Yesterday, FEC Commissioner Ellen L. Weintraub sent him a letter demanding that he produce evidence of his claims. Co-sign the letter here:
- Aramis Ayala: Aramis Ayala, the first Black woman state attorney in Florida history, just made a heroic move by refusing to seek the death penalty in any case. Florida Governor Rick Scott responded by removing her from a key case and handing it over to a white prosecutor in another county. Even the victim’s family is in support of Ayala’s decision to not pursue the death penalty. Sign this petition to tell Scott to let Ayala do her job: