- The Environment
- 45's Ties to Russia
- Broadband-Privacy Rules
- iHeartRadio Awards
- Upcoming Events
BREAKING - Immigration
Muslim Ban 2.0
Today, 45 signed an executive order for a revised Muslim ban. The new ban blocks entry into the U.S. for citizens from six of the seven countries named in the original order. Iraq was removed from the list of countries affected. The order will keep in place a 120-day suspension of the refugee program, but it will no longer identify Syrian refugees as subject to an indefinite ban. Here's how you can help speak out against this new ban and stand up for immigrants and refugees.
- Call your members of Congress. Dial the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and use the script below from The Revolutionary Love Project to ask your members of Congress (MoC) to take a public stand against the new ban:
Hi, my name is ___ and I’m a constituent. I don’t require a response. I’m calling to express my strong opposition to the new Muslim ban. Just like the last time, this ban punishes Muslims, immigrants, and refugees for who they are, not anything they have done. It also emboldens hate crimes against Muslims, Sikhs, and so many others. Hate crimes are now at an all-time high. I am calling you to show my love and care for these communities. Please take a strong public stand to protect our people and our Constitution. Thank you.
- Email your MoC. Use the following tools to email your MoC and ask them to take a stand against the ban:
- From ACLU Action: https://ssl.capwiz.com/aclu-action/issues/alert/?alertid=75062626
- From Oxfam America Action Fund:
- From Save the Children Action Network:
- Co-sign the Access to Counsel Act. Senator Kamala Harris has proposed a bill called the Access to Counsel Act, which would ensure that those detained by the new Muslim ban have access to legal representation. Fill out this form to become a citizen co-signer of the Act:
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions opposing the new ban:
On Wednesday, March 1st, while on her way home from speaking at a news conference about her father’s and brother’s detention two weeks prior, Daniela Vargas was detained by ICE. Daniela is a DREAMer, who came to the US at the age of seven. Here's how you can help protect Daniela and others like her from being detained and deported.
- Call the Department of Homeland Security. Use the information at the following link to call the Department of Homeland Security and demand the release of Daniela and urge ICE to prioritize their immigration enforcement on criminals who have committed violent crimes:
Affordable Care Act
House Republicans are planning to ram through an Affordable Care Act (ACA) repeal bill that will jeopardize healthcare coverage for millions of Americans. They refuse to share a draft of the bill or any of its details for the public, or even other MoC, to review (?!). A vote on the bill in two key committees is planned for this week. Here's how you can help protect the ACA.
- Call your MoC. Use the following links to call your MoC and demand full transparency on ACA repeal efforts:
- From 5 Calls: https://5calls.org/#issue/recGrjFZPDNDIm5Ke
- From the Indivisible Guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/3/4/demand-full-transparency-in-aca-repeal-efforts
- Find your MoC: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members
- Call members of the House Ways and Means and Energy and Commerce Committees. These two committees will review the repeal bill this week. If your representative is a member of one of these committees, use the following links, and the script below from Pennsylvania's own Tuesdays with Toomey, to call them and oppose any action on a repeal bill without a transparent process:
- Ways and Means Committee Members (click to view their websites and find phone numbers): https://waysandmeans.house.gov/subcommittee/full-committee/
- Energy and Commerce Committee Members:
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petition to tell Republicans in Congress to keep their hands off our healthcare: http://nm.martinheinrich.com/page/s/defend-the-affordable-care-act
Affordable and Safe Drug Importation Act
Last week, Sen. Bernie Sanders introduced the Affordable and Safe Drug Importation Act, which would allow Americans to import affordable prescription medications from Canada. This would give consumers a way to fight back against price-gouging pharmaceutical companies while expanding people's access to life-saving treatments. Here's how you can help support this Act.
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions in support of the Affordable and Safe Drug Importation Act:
- From Democracy for America:
- From CREDO Action: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/trump_sanders_big_pharma
- From Democracy for America:
Republicans in Congress have introduced a bill that would cut millions of patients off from care at Planned Parenthood health centers. Many patients with low incomes count on Planned Parenthood for quality, compassionate care that they simply can't get anywhere else. Here's how you can help protect Planned Parenthood.
- Attend or host an event. Planned Parenthood is calling on Americans to plan emergency events outside of their representatives' offices tomorrow, Tuesday, March 7th, at 5:30pm. Sign up to attend or host your own event here:
- Call your senators. Use this form to call your senators and tell them to stand with Planned Parenthood: https://www.istandwithpp.org/call
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to demand that Congress stop this bill:
Environmental Protection Agency
45's proposed budget includes drastic cuts to the budget of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The EPA's budget is already as low as it can get, and it accounts for only 0.22% of the federal budget. Last month, Representative Matt Gaetz introduced a bill that would completely abolish the EPA (?!), and climate-denier Scott Pruitt, who has strong ties to the fossil fuel industry and has repeatedly sued the EPA, was recently confirmed as EPA Administrator (??!!). Here's how you can help protect the EPA and our environment.
- Email your MoC. Use this form to email your MoC and tell them not to let the EPA's budget be slashed: https://secure2.edf.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app337b?cmd=display&id=2923
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions urging Congress to save the EPA:
- From the League of Conservation Voters:
- From 314 Action: https://secure.314action.org/page/s/tell-congress-protect-science-research
- From the League of Conservation Voters:
The Senate is planning to vote on three extreme bills that would devastate our country's ability to enact lifesaving environmental protections. If the bills pass, polluting industries will avoid accountability for the damage they do to our environment. Meanwhile, Steve Bannon and Thomas Pyle (a Koch-funded fossil fuel friend) are exerting pressure on 45 to withdraw from the Paris Agreement, which the U.S. signed with practically every other country on earth to combat the devastating effects of climate change. 45 is supposedly making a decision next week. Here's how you can stop these attacks on protections from climate change:
- Email your MoC. Use this form to email your MoC and tell them to oppose bills that would remove environmental protections:
- Tweet key MoC. Use these links to Tweet Republican MoC in swing districts and urge them to support the Paris Agreement. Just click each link to automatically send a Tweet to each MoC:
Dakota Access Pipeline
45's administration has granted Energy Transfer Partners the final easement, and they have resumed construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). The 17 banks financing the DAPL have not yet disbursed all of the loan funds that they've committed. Meanwhile, the FBI's Terrorism Task Force is investigating Water Protectors who fought to save the Missouri River from the DAPL. Here's how you can help stop the DAPL and defend the Water Protectors.
- Sign a petition to the banks financing the DAPL. Sign this petition telling the banks funding the DAPL to divest now: https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3765
- Sign a petition to the FBI. Sign this petition to demand that FBI Director James Comey explain why he's investigating the Water Protectors: https://actionsprout.io/A3F91F/initial
Today, Attorney General Jeff Sessions held a press conference where he claimed that his January confirmation testimony was "correct," and that he didn't disclose his meetings with the Russian ambassador because he wasn't specifically asked about them (he was). In a recent CNN poll, 65% of those polled said that they would like to see a special prosecutor handle the investigation into 45's ties to Russia. Here's how you can help make sure that a thorough, fair investigation is completed.
- Call your MoC. Use the links below to call your MoC and demand a full investigation into 45's ties to Russia and for Sessions to resign:
- From Wall-of-Us: https://www.wall-of-us.org/weekly-acts-of-resistance/2017/3/6/action-1-demand-that-jeff-sessions-resigns-1
- From the Indivisible Guide: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/3/3/call-for-the-resignation-of-attorney-general-sessions-and-a-full-investigation-into-trump-administration-ties-to-russia
- Find your MoC: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members
- Email your senator. Use this form to email your senators and tell them to postpone the Supreme Court hearings until after the Russia investigation is complete:
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions calling for Sessions to resign:
- From Rep. Keith Ellison: http://mn.keithellison.org/page/s/170403
- From Sen. Patty Murray: http://www.pattymurray.com/act/attorney-general-sessions-tell-the-truth-about-russia
Congress wants to make it easier for companies like AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon to violate your online privacy rights. They're planning to use a sneaky process called the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to overturn rules the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) passed last year that protect how your private information is shared with online advertisers and other companies. Here's how you can help protect the FCC's Broadband-Privacy Rules.
- Call your senators. Use this form to call your senators and tell them to leave our online privacy alone: http://act.freepress.net/call/internet_privacy_cra_senate/
- Call key senators. Use this form to call key senators and tell them that you support the Broadband-Privacy Rules: http://www.savebroadbandprivacy.org/
iHeartRadio is ignoring the concerns of tens of thousands of consumers regarding their decision to honor racist right-wing radio host Michael Berry. Their award show is scheduled for tomorrow. Here's how you can keep the pressure on CEO Bob Pittman to rescind Berry's award.
- Tweet Pittman. Use the following link to Tweet Pittman and tell him not to reward Berry's hate:
- Email Pittman. Use the following link to send Pittman an email telling him that you will not use his company's services until concerns about Berry's award are addressed:
- March 7th - Creating Winning DAPL Divestment Campaigns Webinar: Tuesday, March 7th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, Showing up for Racial Justice is hosting a webinar to share skills and resources that you can use to organize a successful DAPL divestment campaign. Register for the webinar here: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/01aa823f1da85a8ecde7dc3c8da9331e
- March 7th - Indivisible Emergency Call on Defending Obamacare: Tuesday, March 7th, at 9pm ET/6pm PT, the creators of the Indivisible Guide are hosting a conference call where healthcare experts will provide an overview of what's happening and what you can do to stop the repeal of the ACA. Register for the call here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/indivisible-emergency-call-on-defending-obamacare
- Multiple Issues: This link from Jennifer Hoffman features a list of actions you can take this week concerning multiple issues, including immigration, education, 45's ties to Russia, healthcare, and the environment:
- Education - School Vouchers: 45 has promised to push a $20 billion private school voucher plan, and Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos has spent her life pushing voucher legislation. School vouchers threaten religious liberty, deprive students of rights and protections, and lack accountability. Use this form to email your MoC and state legislators and tell them to oppose any bills that would authorize school vouchers: http://p2a.co/Wt9D29x
- Corporate Power Grab in Congress: A package of three dangerous bills has already passed the House and is on its way to the Senate. This package is a corporate power grab that would allow corporate interests to take hold of our democracy at the expense of everyday Americans. Sign this petition to tell Congress to stop the corporate power grab and support democracy for all Americans: http://petitions.signforgood.com/CorporatePowerGrab