By now you've heard all about the Republican plan to "replace" the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the "American Health Care Act," which would lead to massive tax breaks for the rich and loss of healthcare for millions of Americans. Well, today, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) reported that the new plan, which is being called "Trumpcare" by the media, but which I like to refer to as "Don't Care," would cause 24 million Americans to lose their health insurance by 2026. Here's how you can speak out against Don't Care and help protect the ACA.
- Call your members of Congress. Use the following links to call your members of Congress (MoC) and urge them to reject Don't Care and fight for the ACA:
- Email your MoC. Use the following links to email your MoC and tell them to oppose Don't Care and protect the ACA:
- From the National Education Association: http://edadvocacy.nea.org/app/write-a-letter?2&engagementId=271553
- From Courage Campaign: http://act.couragecampaign.org/letter/trumpcareletter/
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions opposing Don't Care:
- From MomsRising: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/AHCA_ACA_repeal/
- From VoteVets.org: http://action.votevets.org/page/s/aca-stories
- From Organizing for Action: https://www.ofa.us/speak-out-against-obamacare-repeal/
- From Senator Dick Durbin: https://durbin.cp.bsd.net/page/signup/stop-gop-health-care-repeal
Immigration - ICE Raids
45's executive orders have led to thousands of undocumented immigrants being detained and deported by ICE agents in continuing raids and a culture of fear and xenophobia. Here's how you can help fight 45's anti-immigrant agenda and support immigrants in your community.
- Share the Notifica app. Notifica is a new smartphone app that acts as a portable panic button for immigrants targeted by raids. It allows people to select contacts they would want to notify in case of emergency and pre-load personalized messages to each recipient. A single click deploys the messages by text in less than two seconds. Read more here and share this link with your friends and family: http://notifica.us/
- Sign a petition. In February, Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth introduced legislation rescinding 45's mass deportation executive order. Sign this petition to support this legislation: http://action.dickdurbin.com/page/s/trump-deportation
Last week, newly-elected EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt stated that he does not agree that carbon dioxide is "a primary contributor" in climate change, going against 97% of scientists, including those in his own agency, who agree that carbon dioxide is in fact a primary contributor. Today, the American Meteorological Society wrote a letter to Pruitt disputing his misinformed claim.
With a climate-denier running the EPA and 45 and Republicans in Congress working to repeal important environmental regulations—and even eliminate the EPA entirely—it's clear that our environment is under attack. Here's how you can help protect it.
- Call your senators. 45's proposed budget includes a 10% increase to the defense budget and a 25% decrease in funding for the EPA. Use the following link to call your senators and tell them to stop the EPA budget slash to increase military spending:
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to help protect our wildlife under the Endangered Species Act: https://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/stop-the-attack-on-the-endangered-species-act
45's Nominees - Neil Gorsuch, Supreme Court
The Senate Judiciary Committee will begin confirmation hearings on Gorsuch on March 20th. Gorsuch is an extreme anti-choice, anti-LGBT judge with a history of interfering with reproductive rights and health and ruling against students with disabilities. Here's how you can help block his confirmation:
- Call your senators. Use the following link to call your senators and tell them to oppose Gorsuch: http://edadvocacy.nea.org/app/make-a-call?1&engagementId=311133
- Email your senators. Use the following link to email your senators and tell them to vote no on Gorsuch: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=21427
Republicans in Congress are trying to make it easier for people to purchase guns despite mental illness and lack of thorough background checks. Here's how you can help stop them.
- Email you representative. Use the following link to email your representative and tell them to oppose a bill that would prevent the Department of Veterans Affairs from submitting mental health records to the National Instant Criminal Background Checks System:
- Sign a petition. The Brady Bill put in place criminal background checks at federally licensed dealers designed to prevent dangerous people from purchasing guns. Sign the following petition to demand Brady background checks for all gun sales:
- March 14th - Climate Defenders Conference Call: Tomorrow, Tuesday, March 14th, at 7:45pm ET/4:45pm PT, the Sierra Club is hosting a conference call to discuss how we can mobilize to defend our climate from 45's agenda. RSVP for the call here:
- March 21st - Facebook Live Interview with Jon Ossoff: On Tuesday, March 21st, at 9:30pm ET/6:30pm PT, Flippable is hosting a Facebook live interview with Jon Ossoff, Democratic candidate for Georgia's Sixth District, to discuss his campaign for the special election on April 18th. RSVP for the event and submit a question for Ossoff here:
- April 10th - Organizing the Suburbs Conference Call: On Monday, April 10th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, Showing Up for Racial Justice is hosting a conference call to discuss organizing tools and strategies for organizing in suburban areas. Register for the call here:
- Indivisible ACA Emergency Call: Last week, Indivisible joined with healthcare experts for a conference call providing an overview of Don't Care and what you can do to stop the repeal of the ACA. If you missed it, you can listen to a recording of the call here:
- ACLU People Power Resistance Training: On Saturday, the ACLU introduced their new People Power campaign with a live Resistance Training event. If you missed the livestream, you can watch a recording of it here: https://peoplepower.org/?akid=1908.16269.kK_6tv
- Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act: Use the following link to call your MoC and urge them to support the Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act, which would require the president to divest financial assets that create a conflict of interest: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-to-action-march-13th-2017/
- Regulatory Reform Bills: Use the following link to call your senator and tell them to oppose "regulatory reform" bills that would paralyze federal agencies from passing regulations to protect our health, safety, and welfare: https://risestronger.org/newsroom/call-to-action-demand-your-senator-oppose-harmful-regulatory-reform-bills
- Department of Labor Fiduciary Rule: The Department of Labor recently proposed to delay the fiduciary rule requiring retirement advisers to provide advice in their clients' best interest. Use the following link to submit a public comment supporting the rule:
- War in Syria: Sign this petition to tell Congress not to send more ground troops to Syria:
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Sign this petition to demand that 45 retain Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) Director Richard Cordray and stop his attacks on the CFPB: http://go.kamalaharris.org/page/s/cfpb
- Public Broadcasting: Sign this petition to tell Congress not to cut funding for public broadcasting: http://act.freepress.net/sign/trump_public_media/
- Online Privacy: Sign this petition to tell the Senate not to overturn an FCC resolution that requires companies to get permission before selling your private information:
- Class-Action Lawsuits: Sign this petition to oppose a bill that would make it harder for people to join class-action lawsuits against corporations: https://actionsprout.io/C17801
- Resistbot: Resistbot is a textbot that makes it easy to send messages to your MoC. Just text Resist to 50409 and Resistbot will ask you a series of questions to make your voice heard in Congress in less than five minutes. Learn more here: https://resistbot.io/