This is just a reminder that from now on, I'll be taking weekends off (unless something really urgent comes up), so you won't receive an email or see a new blog post from me on Saturday or Sunday night (or early Sunday and Monday morning for you early birds). I suggest you all relax and enjoy your weekend, but if you need your daily fix of resistance calls to action, check out my fellow members of the Action Alliance here: https://www.actionalliance.co/
45's Ties to Russia
Yesterday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions recused himself from any investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election after it was revealed that he met with the Russian ambassador twice last year. Many Democrats in Congress are still calling for him to resign. Even Republican Representative Darrell Issa has called for an independent prosecutor to lead the investigation.
Today, lawyers told Politico that Sessions could face legal trouble if a special counsel takes over the Russia investigation as a result of his lying under oath on the Senate floor when asked if he had met with the Russian ambassador. Here's how you can keep up the pressure for Sessions to resign and a thorough, independent investigation to be completed.
- Call members of Congress. Use the information at the following link to call Rep. Issa, Democratic Congressional leadership, and your members of Congress (MoC) to demand a special prosecutor lead the investigation: http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=542e52557cb249fb2535906ea&id=ccf2821f02&e=afc55cc194
- Join a Thunderclap. A Thunderclap is when multiple people share the same message on social media at a specified time. Join this Thunderclap on Facebook and/or Twitter to call for Sessions to resign: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/53924-step-aside-jeff-sessions
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions calling for Sessions to resign and a special prosecutor to lead the investigation:
- From the Public Citizen: https://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=13436
- From Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: http://petitions.signforgood.com/keg-investigation
- From ACLU Action: https://action.aclu.org/secure/special-prosecutor
Healthcare - Medicare
Republicans in Congress are planning to repeal and "replace" the Affordable Care Act without the Medicaid expansion on which millions of low income Americans and Americans with dsiabilities depend for healthcare. Here's how you can help protect Medicaid.
- Email/snail mail your MoC. Use this form to either email or send a printed letter to Congress urging them not to cut healthcare for people with disabilities (selecting "Printed Letter" will create the letter for you to print and mail): http://capwiz.com/easterseals/issues/alert/?alertid=75771626
- Email your representative. Use this form to email your representative and urge them not to cut healthcare for children with disabilities and children in poverty:
- March 12th - Ready to Resist Call: On Sunday, March 12th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, MoveOn.org is holding another Ready to Resist conference call to discuss strategies and actions to build our personal and collective resilience for the resistance. Register for the call here:
- Conference Call Recording: On Wednesday, 350.org hosted an organizing call entitled Standing Rock and the Fight to Keep Fossil Fuels in the Ground, where Standing Rock organizers discussed the status of their campaigns and how you can get involved. If you missed the call, you can listen to a recording of it here: https://soundcloud.com/350org/31-organizing-call-standing-rock-and-the-fight-to-keep-fossil-fuels-in-the-ground
- LGBTQ+ Issues: Use this form to call your MoC and tell them to stand up for their LGBTQ+ constituents and fight for full and equal protections for all people: http://act.hrc.org/ea-campaign/action.retrievestaticpage.do?ea_static_page_id=5686
- Endangered Species Act: Republicans in Congress have introduced legislative attacks that would undermine the Endangered Species. Use this form to email your MoC and tell them to oppose any legislation that would jeopardize our nation's wildlife and wildlands: