This is your weekly reminder that I'm now taking weekends off, so you won't see my usual early morning posts on Sunday or Monday. If you're missing your daily multivitamin of resistance, check out my fellow members of the Action Alliance here: https://www.actionalliance.co/
BREAKING - Healthcare
Victory! Today, Republicans in Congress pushed for another vote on their plan to repeal and "replace" the Affordable Care Act, but the vote was canceled at the last minute due to a lack of support. Rumors say that 45 planned to move on and forget about healthcare if the vote didn't happen today, and later, Speaker Paul Ryan said that the ACA would be around "for the foreseeable future."
If you called, emailed, faxed, Tweeted, Facebook messaged, or sent a letter to your members of Congress; if you went to a rally, march, town hall, or meeting with your members of Congress; if you signed a petition or shared information on social media, you helped make this happen! Give yourself a big pat on the back! Take a moment to celebrate the death of Trumpcare, or as I liked to call it, "Don't Care." RIP!
Republicans may be the elephants, but we in The Resistance never forget! If they try to attack the ACA again, we'll be ready for them. Be vigilant and open your ears, as my grandmother used to say (Happy birthday, Grandmom!). We might be stuck with 45 for four whole years (hopefully less), so we can't let our guards down. Celebrate this weekend, but be ready to resist again on Monday.
URGENT - Keystone XL Pipeline
45's administration just approved the presidential permit for the Keystone XL pipeline and reversed the rejection of the project under the Obama administration. The pipeline would carry 830,000 barrels of the world's dirtiest oil, tar sands, every day and cause annual greenhouse gas emissions each year equal to 37.7 million cars. It would also would cut directly through Sioux treaty lands and near several other tribal reservations and the Ponca Trail of Tears, yet Tribal Nations in Nebraska and South Dakota have not been properly consulted.
TransCanada, the company behind the Keystone XL, must still get approval to route the pipeline through Nebraska, and the Nebraska Public Service Commission (PSC) is taking public comments now. Here's how you can help stop construction of the pipeline.
- Submit a public comment. Use the following link to submit a public comment to the Nebraska PSC opposing the pipeline: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0074452
- Email U.S. banks. Use the following link to email Citi, JP Morgan, Wells Fargo, TD Bank, and Bank of America and tell them not to provide financial services to TransCanada that might help with the Keystone XL:
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petition opposing the pipeline:
- March 25th to 27th - James Thompson's Big Weekend: On April 11th, a special election will be held for the Congressional seat in Kansas's 4th district. If you live in the area, you can help Democrat James Thompson win this seat by joining canvassing and phone banking events this weekend through Monday. If you live outside of Kansas, you can even phone bank from home using an easy online tool. Learn more and sign up here:
- March 27th - Keystone XL Live Strategy Session: On Monday, March 27th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, the Sierra Club, 350.org, and other groups are hosting a live strategy session call to discuss their plans to fight the Keystone XL pipeline. Register for the call here:
- March 27th - ACA Facebook Live Discussion: On Monday, March 27th, at 8:30pm ET/5:30pm PT, the Town Hall Project is hosing a Facebook Live discussion to talk about what's next for the ACA. RSVP for the discussion here: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/rsvp-for-our-facebook-live-update-2
- March 29th - Twitter for Activism Training: On Wednesday, March 29th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, Action Together Connecticut is hosting an online training session to discuss how to get started in Twitter activism and how your Tweets can make a difference. Register for the training here: https://actionnetwork.org/events/atct-training-twitter-for-activism
- April 4th - Moment of Silence for Civil Rights: On Tuesday, April 4th, at 7:01pm ET/4:01pm PT, Fight for $15 is asking Americans to join them in a moment of silence at the moment that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was shot to honor our civil rights legacy and consider, "What is our dream?" Commit to join the moment of silence here: http://fightfor15.org/s-petition/april-4th-2017-rsvp/
- July 27th to 30th - National Candidate Training: From Thursday, July 27th, to Sunday, July 30th, in Washington, D.C., the Progressive Change Campaign Committee is holding a free 4-day training program for progressives interested in running for office. Learn more and apply for the training here: https://www.nationalcandidatetraining.com/
- MomsRising #KeepMarching Telephone Town Hall: On Tuesday, MomsRising held a telephone town hall as a primer on government and civics. If you missed it, you can listen to a recording of it and download the PDF handout here (scroll down to March 21st):
- Ignite Boards and Commissions Webinar: Yesterday, Ignite held a webinar to discuss how to get on a board or commission and take the next steps on your path to political leadership. If you missed it, you can watch a recording of it here: https://youtu.be/OwgGXJm02PE
- Sister District About Us Town Hall: Earlier this month, the Sister District Project held an online town hall to discuss how their organization is working to turn swing districts throughout the country blue. If you missed it, you can watch a recording of it here:
- 45's Ties to Russia: Let your members of Congress know that we didn't forget about 45's Russian scandal while we were fighting for our healthcare. Use the following link to call and urge them to demand an independent investigation into Russian interference in our election and 45's campaign ties to Moscow: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-march-24th-2017/
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Republicans in Congress are trying to eliminate the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), which protects consumers from predatory lenders. Sign this petition to tell Congress to defend the CFPB: