This is just a reminder that I am now taking weekends off, so you won't get your usual early morning email from me on Sunday or Monday. If you still need your daily fix of resistance calls to action, check out my fellow members of the Action Alliance here: https://www.actionalliance.co/
Affordable Care Act
The Republican plan to repeal and "replace" the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has quietly passed through two committees in the House in late night votes. Republicans in Congress continue to defend the new plan despite growing opposition from Democrats, healthcare providers, major organizations, and even some Republicans. Now, Republican lawmakers want the Senate to push the limits of how much of the ACA they can reshape using a maneuver called budget reconciliation.
It's clear that Republicans in Congress want to do whatever they can to push through their new plan and gut the ACA as much as possible before Americans even know what hit us, even if it means doing it sneakily behind our backs. Here's how you can help stop them.
- Call your members of Congress. Use the following links to call your members of Congress (MoC) and urge them to oppose the repeal plan:
- From the Loyal Opposition: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-march-10th-2017/
- From 2 Hours a Week: http://us14.campaign-archive2.com/?u=542e52557cb249fb2535906ea&id=8c17bed594&e=afc55cc194
- Sign a petition. Sign the following petitions opposing the repeal plan:
- From the Democratic National Committee: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/stop-the-gop-health-care-bill
- From Senator Claire McCaskill:
Today, Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson announced that his office is filing a motion asking a federal judge in Seattle to rule that an existing injunction against 45's earlier Muslim ban applies to parallel portions of the new ban. Four other states have filed similar motions asking courts to stop the new ban from taking effect.
News stories broke today about thousands of undocumented immigrants who are terrified of being detained and deported by ICE in their ongoing raids. There is some good news, however: Daniela Vargas, the teen Dreamer who was detained after speaking at a press conference about her fear of being deported, was finally released from an ICE detention center today.
45's attacks on immigrants and refugees have created a culture of fear throughout the U.S. Here's how you can help fight against them.
- Call your MoC. Use the following link to call your MoC and urge them to stop the new Muslim ban: https://5calls.org/#issue/recQa6ru0oQV7vxSx
- Share the DoNotPay chatbot. A Facebook chatbot called "DoNotPay" recently helped people overturn more than $160,000 in parking fines and apply for emergency housing. Now "the world's first robot lawyer" is helping refugees claim asylum in the U.S. The bot works by asking a series of questions to fill out and send an application for asylum. It then destroys the information from its servers within 10 minutes to protect the user's privacy. Share this link with your friends and family to help spread the word: http://m.me/Donotpay
- Sign a petition against 45's attacks. Sign this petition to Senate Democrats demanding that they block 45's attacks on immigrants: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/Block_Trump_Wall
- Sign a petition against border patrol privacy violations. Homeland Security officials have started asking people to log into their social media accounts at routine border crossings. Sign this petition to tell Homeland Security to stop social media strip searches:
45's Ties to Russia
Today, when asked if 45 is being investigated, a Justice Department official replied, "No comment." Meanwhile, the FBI is continuing an investigation into an "odd" computer link between 45 and a Russian bank.
The ACLU announced today that they've filed an ethics complaint about Attorney General Jeff Sessions based on his testimony to a Senate committee that he had no communications with the Russian government. It was later revealed that he met with the Russian ambassador twice last year.
Here's how you can help ensure that a thorough, independent investigation into 45's ties to Russia is completed.
- Call your MoC to request a special investigator. Use the following link to call your MoC and other key members of Congress and urge them to request an independent prosecutor to lead the investigation: http://www.theorangeresistance.org/single-post/2017/03/07/Request-a-Special-Investigator-for-Trumps-Ties-to-Russia
- Call your MoC about Jeff Sessions. Use the following link to call your MoC and ask them to demand that Jeff Sessions resign as Attorney General:
Dakota Access Pipeline
Today, hundreds of Native American tribes and thousands of allies marched in Washington, D.C. to stand in solidarity with indigenous peoples of the world as part of the Native Nations Rise March on Washington. A group of activist built a tipi outside of 45's D.C. hotel to protest his green-lighting of the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). The pipeline is current being built, but it's not too late to stop it. Here's how you can help.
|From ABC News: Tipis in front of the Washington Monument for the Native Nations Rise March on Washington|
- Call Wells Fargo. Use the following link to call Wells Fargo and demand that they divest from the DAPL: http://tinyurl.com/callwellsfargo
- Email your MoC. Use this form to email your MoC and tell them to demand a full and fair environmental review of the DAPL: http://lakotalaw.org/NoDAPL
- March 16th - Supreme Court Campaign Telebriefing: On Thursday, March 16th, at 7pm ET/4pm PT, People for the American Way is hosting a telebriefing in advance of Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch's confirmation hearing, where they'll discuss some of the real stories of Gorsuch's victims and their campaign to stop his confirmation. Register for the call here: https://secure.pfaw.org/site/SPageNavigator/action.html;jsessionid=00000000.app350b?survey_id=11882
- March 16th - #KeepMarching Orientation Facebook Live Event: On Thursday, March 16th, at 9pm ET/6pm PT, MomsRising is hosting a Facebook Live orientation for their #KeepMarching campaign to resist 45's agenda. RSVP to the event here:
- Webinar Recording: Last night, InsurePA hosted a webinar to discuss the details of the Republican plan to repeal the ACA. If you missed it, you can watch a recording here:
- Revote 2017: A case for a revote of the 2016 presidential election is currently scheduled for a Supreme Court "conference" on March 17th. Use the links below to write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper in support of the case:
- Find your local newspaper here: http://www.usnpl.com/
- Sample letters: https://analysisanddiscourse.com/2017/03/10/sample-letters-to-editor/
- Syria: Yesterday, the Pentagon announced that it is sending 400 Marines to Syria to help local fighters rest control of Raqqa, which ISIS considers its capital. These additional troops will bring the total number of U.S. forces on the ground in Syria to about 900. Sign this petition to demand an immediate halt to deploying American ground troops in Syria:
- Voter ID Laws: A restrictive voter ID bill was passed by the Iowa State Senate earlier this month. There is no evidence that stricter voter ID laws are necessary in Iowa or anywhere else. Sign this petition to tell Iowa lawmakers that you oppose this restrictive law:
- Amazon's Breitbart Ads: Over 1,300 companies have pulled their advertising from Breitbart, Steve Bannon's white nationalist "news" website, but Amazon still has not. Sign this petition to tell Amazon to stop supporting Breitbart's hate: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/amazon-stop-supporting