Dakota Access Pipeline
Yesterday, the Army Corps of Engineers announced that they will issue a permit to start construction on the DAPL despite promising to complete a full environmental review. The Standing Rock Water Protectors have stated that they are taking their last stand. Once the drilling starts, it will be too late. Here's how you can help stop it.
- Protest. Emergency marches, rallies, and fundraisers are being scheduled all over the world to protest the DAPL. Find an event near you here: http://everydayofaction.org/
- Email the Army Corps of Engineers. Use this form to email the Army Corps of Engineers and tell them to complete their promised environmental review: https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app30103a?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4170
- Sign a petition to the Army Corps of Engineers. Sign this petition to tell the Army Corps of Engineers to complete their review: https://secure3.convio.net/lcv/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app318b?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3725
- Sign a petition to Bernie Sanders. A group of U.S. veterans recently told CNBC that they plan to join the Water Protectors at Standing Rock to help them fight the DAPL. If Bernie Sanders were to join them, he would bring enormous media attention to the issue. Sign this petition to ask him to go: https://actionsprout.io/CF6287/initial
- Email your members of Congress about the Paris Agreement. Use this form to email your members of Congress and tell them to take the crucial first step of protecting the Paris Agreement on Climate Change: https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2059
- Email your members of Congress about the EPA: On February 3, a bill called HR 861 was introduced to Congress. This bill is designed to terminate the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). This would leave polluters unchecked, and programs like Superfund cleanups would go away. Use this form to email your members of congress and tell them to oppose HR 861: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0068844
Attorney General: Jeff Sessions
Tonight, despite massive opposition, Jeff Sessions was confirmed as Attorney General. As Senate Democrats held the floor for 24 hours to protest Sessions's confirmation, Senate Republicans voted to silence Senator Elizabeth Warren when she attempted to read a 1986 letter from Coretta Scott King opposing Sessions's federal nomination. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell interrupted Warren's speech, stating that she had "impugned the motives and conduct" of Sessions.
McConnell later defended his actions, saying, "She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted." This quote quickly spread through social media and became a rallying cry for women all over the country. Here are some ways you can speak out against McConnell and the Republicans in the Senate who silenced Warren.
- Join the postcard avalanche. An image has been spreading around Twitter, calling for a postcard avalanche for McConnell and Trump. Follow the instructions below to join in:
- Tweet Mitch McConnell. Let McConnell know how you feel about his silencing Warren. Click the following link to automatically Tweet him: https://ctt.ec/hVR8y
- Get a free "She Persisted" sticker. Fill out this form to receive a free sticker with McConnell's now infamous remarks to show your support for Warren: http://actnow.prochoiceamerica.org/signup/170208_shepersisted/
- Sign a petition. Sign the petitions below to stand with Warren and tell McConnell and Senate Republicans that their actions were unacceptable:
- From People for the American Way: https://secure.pfaw.org/site/SPageNavigator/action.html;jsessionid=00000000.app350b?survey_id=11802
- From CHC BOLD PAC: http://go.boldpac.com/page/s/agree-with-bernie-warren
Supreme Court: Neil Gorsuch
Senate Republicans stole the Supreme Court seat left vacant by Justice Antonin Scalia by refusing to even consider President Obama's nomination. Trump's nominee, Neil Gorsuch, is set to follow in Scalia's extremist footsteps. Senator Jeff Merkley has promised to filibuster Gorsuch's nomination, but other Democrats have been silent about this measure. Here's how you can help block Gorsuch.
- Call your senators. Call your senators and tell them to oppose Gorsuch. Dial the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121, press "1" for the Senate, then enter your zip code to be connected to your senator. Make sure you call twice and speak to both of your senators. Use the script below when you call:
I’m [NAME], a constituent from [CITY]. I want [SENATOR X] to do everything in his/her power to keep Neil Gorsuch off the Supreme Court. I believe this seat was stolen, and I think that confirming Gorsuch only invites that kind of action in the future. Will [SENATOR X] agree to filibuster the nomination?
- Email your senators. Use this form to email your senators and tell them to oppose Gorsuch: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0067620
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and the rest of the Senate Democrats to block Gorsuch: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/defend_SCOTUS
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Tom Price
Today, the Senate voted to push ahead with Tom Price's confirmation vote, which will likely take place Friday morning. Price has a record of opposing LGBT rights. He called the Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality a "sad day" America, and he sponsored a bill to allow hospitals and homeless shelters to turn away LGBT people in need. Price has also expressed a desire to privatize Medicare, and Republicans in Congress plan to appoint him to start the process of repealing the Affordable Care Act. Here's how you can help block Price.
- Call your senators. Call your senators and tell them to oppose Price. Dial the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121, press "1" for the Senate, then enter your zip code to be connected to your senator. Make sure you call twice and speak to both of your senators. Use the script below when you call:
Hello, I am [NAME] from [PLACE]. Like many of your constituents, I’m really concerned about the Price nomination for Health and Human Services. In addition to his multiple conflicts of interest, Price will be in charge of a repeal of healthcare access from 30 million Americans, and has stated a desire to privatize Medicare. Will the Senator pledge to publicly oppose, and vote against, the Price nomination?
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to stand with Senator Tammy Baldwin, the first and only openly LGBT member of the U.S. Senate, in opposing Price: http://www.grassrootsact.com/vf-pricepetition
Environmental Protection Agency: Scott Pruitt
As Attorney General of Oklahoma, Scott Pruitt sued the EPA on behalf of polluter clients who donated nearly a quarter million dollars to his re-election campaign. He's a known climate-denier, and his own work bio calls him "a leading advocate against the EPA's activist agenda." Last week, Republicans in the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee changed the rules to push through the vote on Pruitt despite every Democrat boycotting the hearing. His vote will now go to the Senate floor, most likely next week. Here's how you can help block Pruitt:
- Call your senators. Dial 202-750-2411 to be automatically connected with your senators, or text PRUITT to 69866 to receive a callback. You can also dial the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121, press "1" for the Senate, then enter your zip code to be connected to your senator. Make sure you call twice and speak to both of your senators. Use the script below when you call:
Hello, I am [NAME] from [PLACE]. As your constituent, I’m afraid that Scott Pruitt, Donald Trump’s pick to head the EPA, would be a disaster for our health, air, water, and climate. Will the Senator pledge to publicly oppose Pruitt’s nomination?
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell the your senators to oppose Pruitt: https://www.addup.org/campaigns/oppose-scott-pruitts-nomination-to-head-the-epa/petition/oppose-scott-pruitts-nomination-to-head-the-epa
Yesterday, three federal appellate judges heard cases for Trump's unconstitutional Muslim ban. The courts expect to make a decision this week. Meanwhile, Trump has been criticizing Judge James Robart, who temporarily halted the ban last Friday. A poll released yesterday found a big swing in public opposition to the ban. Here's how you can help stop the ban.
- Send a postcard. Follow the instructions at the following link to print, fill out, and mail a postcard to your elected officials in support of refugees: https://www.rescue.org/article/tell-your-elected-officials-i-stand-refugees
- Share a video. Visit the following link to record and upload a video telling immigrants that you stand with them: http://www.toimmigrantswithlove.com/
- Sign a petition. Uber CEO Travis Kalanick recently stepped down from Trump's council of business advisers under public pressure in response to the Muslim ban. Disney CEO Bob Iger skipped a meeting of the council last Friday but still hasn't formerly quit despite public disapproval of the ban. Sign this petition to tell Iger to stand against Trump's Muslim ban and quit the council: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/tell-ceos-quit-council/
Affordable Care Act
Under public pressure, Republicans in Congress who have been talking about dismantling the Affordable Care Act (ACA) have recently started to change their tune, saying that they're going to "repair" the ACA instead of repealing it. No matter what language they use, their intent is still to gut the ACA, causing millions of Americans to lose their healthcare coverage. Here's how you can help protect the ACA:
- Attend a Rally for Affordable Healthcare. On Saturday, rallies to support the ACA will be held all over the country. Find a rally near you here: http://my.ofa.us/page/event/search_simple
- Call a senator. Use this form to call a senator and tell them to stop the rush to repeal the ACA: https://www.ofa.us/call-to-protect-obamacare/
- Join a conference call. Organizing for Action has scheduled a conference call tomorrow at 8pm ET/5pm PT to discuss their plans for defending the ACA. Register for the call here: http://myaccount.maestroconference.com/conference/register/OGD81RPL3G3IYKGQ
On Saturday, a coalition of anti-choice groups have planned to protest outside of Planned Parenthood centers across the country. Instead of counter-protesting, Planned Parenthood is calling on their supporters to find other ways to stand with them. Here's how you can help.
- Text your senators. Text VDAY to 22422 to let your senators know why you love Planned Parenthood. A sample text is below.
- Revote: A case for a revote of the 2016 U.S. presidential election has made it to the Supreme Court. The court will review the case and decide whether to hear arguments or make a ruling on February 21st (learn more about the case at www.revote.info). On Sunday, February 20th, the people behind the case are holding a vigil outside the Supreme Court at 6pm, followed by a rally on Monday at noon. The details are below:
- Open Primaries: Saturday is the final DNC forum before the Democrats select their new party chair. They're now accepting questions for the debate. The campaign for open primaries (www.openprimaries.org) is asking Americans to Tweet and email the moderator, April Ryan, to ask the candidates about open primaries. Use the links below to do this:
- Trump's ties to Russia: On Wednesday, the Russia Review Act was introduced by six senators. This act would require the White House to submit a report detailing why it was seeking to lift sanctions, setting into motion a 120-day review period where Congress could vote to disapprove of easing the penalties on Russia. Call your your senators and tell them to support the Russia Review Act. Dial the Capitol Hill Switchboard at 202-224-3121, press "1" for the Senate, then enter your zip code to be connected to your senator. Make sure you call twice and speak to both of your senators. Use the script below when you call:
I’m [FIRST & LAST NAME], a constituent calling to ask [REP. — — — ] to strongly support an investigation into Russian interference in our elections. Please ask [REP. — — — ] to support Congresswoman Waters’ new legislation to investigate the President’s ties to Russia.
- Public Broadcasting: The Trump administration is making plans to privatize the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), which allows support of PBS, NPR, and hundreds of local public television and radio stations. Sign this petition to tell Congress to block Trump's plan to cut funding for the CPB: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/emergency-dont-let-donald