Attorney General: Jeff Sessions
Today, Congress voted to push through the confirmation vote on Jeff Sessions. The vote is scheduled to take place tomorrow. Once again, Senate Democrats are holding the floor for the 24 hours before the vote. Here's how you can help block Sessions.
- Call your senators. Call 877-959-6082 and enter your zip code to reach your senator's office, then use the script below:
I urge Senator _______ to oppose the nomination of Jeff Sessions to be the next Attorney General. Jeff Sessions cannot be trusted to fairly enforce the law, particularly when it comes to holding anti-abortion extremists accountable for their criminal activities. Sessions is not fit to be Attorney General and I hope I can count on Senator _______ to vote against his nomination.
- Fax your senators. During tonight's vote, Senator Elizabeth Warren was silenced by Senator Mitch McConnell when she attempted to read a 1986 letter written by Coretta Scott King, widow of Martin Luther King, Jr., in which she opposed Sessions's federal judge appointment. The Senate then formally voted to stop Warren from reading the letter.
Damsels in Defiance are calling for Americans to fax the letter in its entirety to your senators by tomorrow morning:
- Step 1) Find your senator at here: https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
- Step 2) Print and fax the letter from this PDF: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988/Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.pdf
- Step 1) Download the PDF of the letter here: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3259988/Scott-King-1986-Letter-and-Testimony-Signed.pdf
- Step 2) Visit https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php and click on your senator.
- Step 3) Enter your contact and cover page information.
- Step 4) Click the first "Choose Files" button to attach the PDF.
- Step 5) Click "Send $1.99 Fax Now" (there is a $1.99 charge for faxes over 3 pages long)
- Step 6) Enter your Paypal account information to complete the information.
- Sign a petition. Sign one of the following petitions to tell the Senate to oppose Sessions:
- From Senator Elizabeth Warren: http://my.elizabethwarren.com/page/s/sessions
- From Senator Chris Murphy: http://action.chrismurphy.com/page/s/stop_sessions
Secretary of Labor: Andrew Puzder
The committee hearing on Andrew Puzder has been delayed four times due to lack of Puzder's paperwork on divesting from conflicts of interest. Puzder is the CEO of CKE Restaurants, which owns Hardee's and Carl's Jr. A Department of Labor study found that 60% of CKE restaurants had at least one Fair Labor Standards Act Violation. Puzder is opposed to raising the minimum wage, extending overtime pay, and the Affordable Care Act. Here's how you can help block Puzder:
- Call the Senate. Use the phone numbers and script at the following link to call the members of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pension, as well as your senators: http://www.theorangeresistance.org/single-post/2017/02/07/Oppose-Andrew-Puzder-for-Labor-Secretary
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell the Senate to reject Puzder: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/reject_puzder/
FCC Chairman: Ajit Pai
Newly-appointed Chairman of the FCC, Ajit Pai, wasted no time gutting communication rights. He has issued his own version of executive orders targeting key consumer safeguards and limiting the Lifeline program's support of broadband access, making it harder for millions of low-income Americans to get online. He's also announced plans to uphold net neutrality. Here's how you can fight against Pai:
- Sign a petition to protect communication rights. Sign this petition to tell Pai to reverse his orders: http://act.freepress.net/sign/internet_pai_trump/
- Sign a petition to protect net neutrality. Sign this petition to tell Pai and Congress that the open web is not a partisan political issue: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/dont-let-dc-partisan-politics-break-the-internet-3
Other Cabinet Nominees
Betsy DeVos, Education: Today, the vote to confirm Betsy DeVos ended in a tie, with the vice president casting the tie-breaking vote for the first time in American history. DeVos was confirmed, but the massive opposition to her nomination sent a clear message to Republicans in Congress that the American people will keep fighting them and won't back down. Take these pledges to commit to continuing the fight against DeVos:
- From Senator Kirsten Gillibrand: http://petitions.signforgood.com/keg-devos
- From Senator Martin Heinrich: http://nm.martinheinrich.com/page/s/hold-donald-trump-and-betsy-devos-accountable
- Scott Pruitt, EPA: Science-denier, Scott Pruitt, said at his confirmation hearing that he took action against poultry companies accused of dumping waste into the Illinois River, but an investigation found that not a single brief or motion of the sort he described has been filed on the case. Yesterday, nearly 450 former EPA employees sent a letter to the Senate opposing Pruitt's nomination. The Senate is likely to vote on Pruitt this week. Sign this petition telling them to reject him: https://naughton.cp.bsd.net/page/signup/reject-scott-pruitt
- Tom Price, Health and Human Services: Ant-government, Tom Price, has spent his career working to destroy Medicare. He has said that he plans to implement Medicare privatization six to eight months into the Trump administration. He and Speaker Paul Ryan have tried to pass legislation to the effect many times. As secretary of HHS, Price would have the power to revoke regulations that protect Medicare beneficiaries, and issue other regulations that could jeopardize them. Use this form to email your senators and tell them to oppose Price: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/a-vote-for-tom-price-is-a-vote-to-destroy-medicare-2
- Steve Bannon, Senior Adviser: Trump appointed white nationalist, Steve Bannon, to a senior advisory position in the White House. The appointment was supported by former KKK leader, David Duke, who called it "excellent." Bannon runs Breitbart, a website that publishes racist and xenophobic disinformation. Sign this petition to tell Senate Democrats to refuse to oppose all of Trump's nominees due to his appointment of Bannon: https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/petitions/sign-the-petition-to-us-senators-block-all-trump-appointees-2
URGENT: - The Environment
Dakota Access Pipeline
Today, the Army Corps of Engineers stopped their environmental review of the DAPL and issued their final approval, ignoring the review and public comment period that began under President Obama. Over 300 Native American tribes are continuing to stand with the Standing Rock Sioux to protest the pipeline. Here's how you can help:
- Email your members of Congress. Use this form to email your members of Congress and ask them to intercede and block the pipeline: http://lakotalaw.org/dapl-action
- Email the Army Corps of Engineers. Use this form to email the Army Corps of Engineers and tell them complete the environmental review and public comment period: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0068481
- Email Citibank. Citibank is the lead funder of the DAPL. Use this form to email them and tell them to stop funding the pipeline: https://secure3.convio.net/gpeace/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2066
Today, the U.S. Ninth Circuit Court heard the case of the State of Washington vs. Trump against the Muslim ban. Trump is still fighting the courts to get his ban reinstated. Senators can fight the ban by withholding consent or filibustering until a vote is permitted. Here's how you can help the fight:
- Call your members of Congress. Use this call tool and script from Weekly Actions to Resist Trump to call your representatives in Congress and tell them to resist the ban by all available means: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
- Email your members of Congress. Use this form to email your representatives in Congress and tell them to push back against the ban: http://cqrcengage.com/cair/app/write-a-letter
- Town Hall Meetings: Trump and the Republican Congress are planning to repeal the ACA, as well as make massive cuts to Medicaid, Chip and Medicare. Members of Congress will be at home during the month of February, and many of them will hold town hall meetings to hear from their constituents. Moms Rising have a healthcare stories booklet you can bring to a town hall near you. Use this form to receive an email with information about upcoming town halls and how you can receive a booklet: http://action.momsrising.org/signup/town-hall-protect-healthcare/
- Reproductive Rights: Republicans in Congress have made it clear that one of their top priorities is rolling back women's reproductive choices. They have already taken several steps to threaten women's healthcare access and autonomy, and they are planning efforts to cut funds to Planned Parenthood, limit abortion coverage, and enact abortion bans. Use this form to email your members of Congress and tell them to stop the attacks on reproductive rights: http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/o/50796/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=20845
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau: Republicans in Congress have introduced legislation to gut the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) The CFPB has returned nearly $12 billion to families ripped off by big banks, student loan servicers, credit card companies and predatory lenders. Sign this petition to tell Congress to oppose any efforts to dismantle the CFPB: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/big-banks-need-a-watchdog-dont-gut-the-consumer-bureau
- Voting: Democrats have the problem of focusing too much on national elections and not enough on state and local elections. Help solve that problem by planning to vote in your state and local elections with TurboVote. They'll send you information about registering, polling places, and absentee ballots, and send you reminders about upcoming elections. Sign up here: https://turbovote.org/name
- Moral March: The annual Moral March on Raleigh & HKonJ People's Assembly are scheduled for February 11th. The North Carolina NAACP and over 200 coalition partners will come together to stand for their intersectional People's Agenda for North Carolina. This year, the march will focus on the Trump administration's agenda, including the planned repeal of the ACA, Muslim ban, border wall, appointment of Steve Bannon, and Trump's fraudulent claims of voter fraud. If you will be in the Raleigh area this weekend, you can learn more and RSVP to the march here: https://hkonj.com/moral-march-on-raleigh/
- Postcard Avalanche: Yesterday, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer stated that the people protesting Trump are professional paid protesters. Let Spicer know that you're not being paid to protest. Every time you attend a protest, send him a postcard at the address below, letting him know why you protested and that you were not paid for it:
c/o The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500
- Book Avalanche: Leaders Are Readers are calling on Americans to bury the White House in books on Valentine's Day by sending Trump a book that you think he should read. Learn more and RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1859858284295480/
- Twitter Storm: Let the Republicans know that we hold them responsible for supporting Trump. Tweet @GOP and your Republican elected officials a message using the hashtags #Republicans and #SoCallPresident. A sample Tweet is below. RSVP to the Facebook event to report your Tweets at the following link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1841938729407099/
#Republicans allow #SoCalledPresident to attack Constitution @GOP