Dakota Access PipelineYesterday, protesters at North Dakota's Oceti Sakowin camp issued a plea for help at Standing Rock. The Army Corps of Engineers and North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum have issued an evacuation order for tomorrow morning. In a viral video shared by Shaun King yesterday, a group of indigenous women urged supporters to come stand with Standing Rock as soon as possible (watch the video here: https://www.facebook.com/shaunking/videos/1309115642460684/). Here's how you can help.
- Join the protest. If you live in the area or can otherwise get to Standing Rock, go join the protesters as soon as you can! They need all the help they can get. You can find a map of the camp here: http://www.ocetisakowincamp.org/map
- Help from a distance. The Oceti Sakowin camp's website has a list of actions you can take to help support them, from calling your members of Congress (MoC) to donating supplies. View the list here: http://www.ocetisakowincamp.org/getinvolved
- Volunteer for camp clean up. The camp is being moved due to flooding, and volunteers are needed to help clean up. If you can get to Standing Rock, sign up to help here:
- Sign a petition to prosecute Kyle Kirchmeier. Morton County Sheriff Kyle Kirchmeier brutalized NoDAPL Water Protectors, and violence is likely to increase now that the final approval of the easement needed to complete the DAPL is imminent. Sign this petition to demand that the U.S. Department of Justice prosecute Kirchmeier:
Today, Homeland Security issued memos which unveiled a sweeping plan to deport undocumented immigrants. The memos instruct all agents, including Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to identify, capture, and quickly deport every undocumented immigrant they encounter. The vast majority of the nation’s 11 million undocumented immigrants are at risk of deportation. Here's how you can help support undocumented immigrants in your community.
- Call Paul Ryan. This week, Speaker Paul Ryan blocked members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus from attending a meeting with top-level ICE personnel to discuss deportations and raids. Use the phone numbers and script at the following link to call Ryan and tell him that this is unacceptable: http://www.3notrump.org/weekly-actions-2212017/#2
- Email your governor. State governors have the authority to protect immigrants in their state. This includes restricting the use of state funds to arrest or detain immigrants. The federal government does not reimburse local authorities for ICE detention requests, costing state and local governments millions of dollars. This is not only an unjust federal mandate to "crackdown" on immigrants, but a completely unfunded one. Use this form to email your governor and demand fiscal responsibility in immigration enforcement:
Recent reports found that 45's ridiculous border wall will cost much more and take much longer to build than previously expected. Earlier this month, 45 Tweeted that the price would go down after he got "involved in the design" and "negotiations." Here's how you can help protest the wall.
- Sign a petition. According to Pew Research Center, we are at a 50 year low of illegal border crossings. Sign this petition to tell the California State House and Senate and Governor Jerry Brown not to allow construction of a wall along the California/Mexico border:
45's Ties to Russia - Flynnghazi
45 insists that he had no contact with Russia during his campaign, but Russia says otherwise. Russian officials have at least twice acknowledged contact with 45's aides before the election. That contact would have taken place during the period when it’s believed that the Russian government was trying to disrupt the election. Clearly, an immediate, thorough investigation is needed into 45's ties to Russia. Here's how you can help get it going.
- Call your MoC about creating a committee. Use the form and scripts at the following link to call your MoC and ask them to support the creation of a special select committee to investigate Russian subversion in the U.S. election and 45's campaign:
- Call your MoC about SB 27 and HR 356. Senate Bill 27 and the Protecting Our Democracy Act (HR 356) propose the establishment of an independent commission to examine and report on the facts regarding the extent of Russian cyber operations and attempts to interfere in the 2016 U.S. national election. Use the links below to call your MoC and tell them to support these proposals:
45's Advisory Council
Earlier this month, Uber CEO Travis Kalanik backed out of 45's advisory council of business leaders after public backlash. Several business leaders still remain on the council. Here's how you can help tell them to stop enabling 45's agenda:
- Sign a petition to Bob Iger. In a statement on February 7, Disney CEO Bob Iger called 45's council a "great opportunity" that gives him a "pipeline" to speak with 45. It's clear that there's no negotiating with 45's administration. Sign this petition to tell Iger to resign from 45's council immediately: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/tell-disney-drop-trumps-business-council-and-stop-collaborating-with-trump
- Sign a petition to Elon Musk. Silicon Valley prides itself on a culture of innovation, but there’s nothing innovative about condoning 45's bigotry. Sign this petition to tell Tesla CEO Elon Musk to quit 45's council: http://act.freepress.net/sign/trump_tesla/
- Nationwide - Healthcare Rallies: This Saturday, February 25th, rallies will be held outside of MoC's offices to defend the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and protect healthcare access for all Americans. Use the Resistance Calendar to find a rally near you:
- Webinar - Water is a Reproductive Justice Issue: On February 28th, at 7pm ET/4pm PT, Reproaction is holding their monthly Act and Learn Webinar. This month's topic is "Water is a Reproductive Issue." Coya White Hat-Artichoke, Community Specialist at Sistersong and member of the Rosebud Sioux Nation, and Curt Guyette of the ACLU will be joining the webinar to discuss the urgent issue of access to water. Register for the webinar here:
- 45's Cabinet - Ajit Pai, FCC: In 2015, advocates for the open Internet won a battle to preserve net neutrality, the principle that all Internet traffic is treated equally and that providers cannot charge content providers for "fast lanes" for those who can afford it. 45's pick for chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Ajit Pai, has stated that he is "more confident than ever" that net neutrality's "days are numbered." Use this form to email Pai and the FCC and tell them why we must protect net neutrality:
- LGBTQ Rights - Protection for Transgender Students: Today several sources reported that 45's administration will rescind the previous guidance for the Department of Education that transgender students should be protected from sex discrimination at school. Use the phone number and form at the following link to call the White House and tell them that transgender students deserve to be able to go to school without facing discrimination:
- Protesting - Anti-protest Legislation: Recently 10 states have introduced legislation that would increase penalties for various types of protesting. If you live in Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Virginia, or Washington, use the information at the following link to call your state senator and representative and tell them to vote against this legislation: http://www.3notrump.org/weekly-actions-2212017/#3
- Elections - 4th District of Kansas: Thanks to Lisa for sending me this action. On April 11, the 4th congressional district of Kansas will hold a special election for the House of Representatives to replace Mike Pompeo, who was selected as director of the CIA. Help turn this seat blue by supporting the Democratic candidate, James Thompson, a U.S. Army veteran and civil rights attorney. District 4 is home to Koch Industries, so a Democratic victory would be a great way to send them a message. Even if you don't live in Kansas, you can still help get Kansans out to vote for Thompson by using the online phonebanking tool here:
- Reproductive Rights - Operation Rescue: Immediately after Jeff Sessions was confirmed as Attorney General, Troy Newman, head of the anti-choice domestic terrorist organization, Operation Rescue, offered to "assist" Sessions and the Department of Justice with research and documentation to target abortion providers. Newman has stalked and systematically harassed clinic workers, and he believes that it's the federal government's responsibility to execute abortion providers. Sign this petition to call on Sessions to disavow Operation Rescue and publicly decline any offer of partnership with Newman and his organization:
- Gun Violence - Chicago: Days after his inauguration, 45 took to Twitter to threaten to "send in the Feds" to address gun violence in Chicago. The level of gun violence in this country has become a public health crisis, and no community has been affected more than Chicago, but tweeting does nothing to save lives. Co-sign a letter from Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth to urge 45 to stop tweeting and start taking real action to reduce gun violence in Chicago: http://action.dickdurbin.com/page/s/chicago?source=em170221-chicago
- Knowledge is Power - Michael Moore's 10-Point Plan to Stop 45: Today, The Huffington Post published an article by Michael Moore, outlining 10 things that every American can and should do to help stop 45's agenda. Read it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/do-these-10-things-and-trump-will-be-toast_us_58ac605ae4b07028b704264a