This week, 45 announced plans to draft a new version of his unconstitutional Muslim ban. Meanwhile, the previous ban still has not been rescinded. Here's how you can help fight against the current and any future bans.
- Sign an amicus brief. Earlier this week, VoteVets added its name to an amicus brief filed against 45 and the Department of Homeland Security in the District Court of Eastern New York. It offered support for two interpreters who were denied entry into the United States after the Muslim ban. Add your name to become a citizen signer of the brief:
- Donate to a refugee family in need. Refugees were among the many people affected by the Muslim ban. Miry's List creates Amazon lists to make it easy for you to donate supplies to a refugee family in need. See the lists and donate here: https://www.miryslist.org/lists
A draft memo from 45's administration proposes to mobilize 100,000 National Guard troops to round up undocumented immigrants. The memo calls for unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement across the country. Here's how you can help protect immigrants in your community and throughout the U.S.
- Become a volunteer immigration lawyer. The American Immigration Council and American Immigration Lawyers Association are seeking volunteer lawyers to help immigrants being detained as a result of the recent raids. One current and dire need is for representation of women and children who are locked in an immigration prison in Dilley, TX. If you are an attorney and would like to volunteer your time to help, contact Volunteer Coordinator Crystal Massey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about the project here:
Healthcare - Affordable Care Act
Yesterday, House GOP leaders outlined their plan to replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in a 19-page memo. The memo describes a repeal-and-replace bill in largely broad terms, leaving out specifics that will be required in final legislation. It also offers new insight into House Republicans’ vision for the law, such as a decision to phase out the Medicaid expansion under the ACA, which covered millions of low-income Americans. Here's how you can help protect the ACA.
- Share your story. Tens of millions of people depend on the ACA. It's up to all of us to keep speaking up about the success of this law. One way to do that is by sharing your story. The Center for American Progress is collecting testimonials from Americans who have benefited from the ACA. Share your story here: https://acaworks.org/
- Sign a petition. From Bernie Sanders’ populist campaign to the nationwide resistance throughout 45's first month, momentum is building for the only real solution to our country’s healthcare crisis: single-payer Medicare-for-all. Sign this petition to show your support:
Elections and Voting
Since he took office, 45 has been making false claims about widespread voter fraud in the 2016 presidential election. Earlier this month, House Republicans voted to eliminate the only federal agency that makes sure voting machines can't be hacked. Here's how you can help protect our voting rights.
- Sign a petition. President Obama has done more than any other Democrat to increase voter turnout. That’s why he’s leading the fight to make voter registration automatic so that all Americans have the chance to vote. Sign this petition to stand with President Obama and demand Congress make voter registration automatic:
- Run for office. We have a lot of seats to win if we're going to effectively resist 45 and his Republican party in all 50 states. Democracy for America (DFA) endorses candidates up and down the ballot, across the country. If you or someone you know is considering running for any public office, DFA wants to endorse you. Apply for endorsement here:
Check out these upcoming events for ways that you can meet other members of the resistance, educate yourself, and speak out against 45's agenda.
- New York City - I am a Muslim Too Rally: Tomorrow from 12pm-4pm in Times Square, the Movement to Oppose Trump is holding the I am a Muslim Too Rally to show solidarity with Muslims in America. Learn more and RSVP here:
- Conference Call - Ready to Resist: Tomorrow at 8pm ET/5pm PT, MoveOn.org is holding their Ready to Resist Resistance Recess Kick-Off Call to discuss ways that you can resist 45's agenda during the upcoming Congressional recess. Learn more and register for the call here:
- Flynnghazi - Tell Chaffetz to investigate 45's corruption. Instead of investigating Michael Flynn or 45's corruption, House Oversight Committee Chair Jason Chaffetz has asked the Inspector General to target the people who brought to light Flynn's lies and the administration's suspect ties to Russia. Sign this petition to tell Chaffetz to do his job and investigate 45's corruption: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/chaffetz_conway_corruption
- 45's Cabinet - Protect net neutrality. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai does not support the open internet, free from corporate control. He's publicly stated his position to "wipe away [the] net neutrality rules" that millions of people support. Sign this petition to tell Pai that we need open Internet with strong net neutrality rules: https://www.dailykos.com/campaigns/petitions/add-your-name-and-message-we-love-net-neutrality-for-an-open-internet
- The Environment - Commit to 100% clean and renewable energy. Scott Pruitt, a known fossil fuel advocate and climate denier, has just been appointed to lead the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Local leaders know firsthand the impact that fossil fuel pollution has on families and communities. Sign this petition to tell your mayor and local leaders to lead the nation and commit to 100% clean and renewable energy: