I am a member of a group of websites that post regular calls to action for the resistance. We now have a name, the Action Alliance, and a new website, where all of our members are listed:
You can also find us on Twitter at @actionallies.
Table of Contents Immigration
Last week, federal immigration officials arrested over 500 people across 11 states. These actions may be a result of ramping-up of deportations by 45's administration. Here's how you can help.
- Share information. Share the ACLU's guide for what to do if ICE agents are at your door with your friends and family: https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/what-do-if-immigration-agents-ice-are-your-door
- Document raids. If you see an ICE raid taking place in your community, document it using your cellphone. Here's a helpful guide for how to do it: http://americasvoice.org/blog/use-cellphone-document-expose-immigration-raids-community/
A unanimous ruling by three federal judges shot down 45's appeal to reinstate his unconstitutional Muslim ban, but the ban has not been permanently rescinded. Here's how you can help support Muslims, refugees, and immigrants in your community and fight against the ban.
- Attend a webinar. On Wednesday, February 15th, at 7pm ET/4pm PT, Saman Movassaghi, a managing attorney with over 12 years of experience in immigration law, will detail the concerns with executive orders on immigration and refugees. As part of this webinar, you will also learn how to better advocate and put a stop to the ban. Register here:
- Teach kids about refugees. A teacher in the Bronx, Joan Moon, has created a project to raise funds for books that help kids understand what it's like to be a refugee. Learn more and purchase these books here: http://www.readbrightly.com/books-to-help-kids-understand-what-its-like-to-be-a-refugee/
- Show immigrants some love. Tomorrow, Valentine's Day, join the national day of action to show love and support to immigrant communities across the country using the hashtag #ToImmigrantsWithLove. Learn more and RSVP here:
Neil Gorsuch, Supreme Court
Gorsuch has put the rights of corporations over individual rights again and again. He ruled in the Hobby Lobby case that private corporations can dictate the health choices of female employees, and he's been instrumental in promoting the extreme right-wing philosophy that corporations are people. Here's how you can help block him.
- Call/fax your senators. Find your senators' contact information at the following link, then call them using the script below: https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
Hi! I’m a constituent from (ZIP code) calling to express my opposition to Judge Gorsuch for the Supreme Court. Can you tell me how my senator plans to vote? If yes, is s/he concerned about equal rights for women and minorities?
You can also fax your senators for free with FaxZero at the following link:
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell the Senate to reject Gorsuch:
Other Cabinet Nominees
- Jeff Sessions, Attorney General: Last week, the Senate confirmed Jeff Sessions, a known racist and white supremacist, to be the new U.S. Attorney General. On Wednesday, February 15th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, Color of Change is hosting a conference call to discuss their plan to fight against Sessions and 45's other appointees. Register for the call here:
- Andrew Puzder, Labor Secretary: Today, four Republican senators announced that they are withholding support for Puzder, a fast food CEO with multiple Fair Labor Standards Act violations. Puzder's hearing has been delayed several times due to lack of paperwork on his divesting from conflicts of interest, but it is now scheduled for Thursday. Sign this petition to tell the Senate to oppose Puzder: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/reject-andy-puder
Resolution of Inquiry
Last week, Rep. Jerry Nadler introduced a Resolution of Inquiry that would require the Department of Justice to provide the House with all records related to investigations of 45 and his campaign pertaining to Russia, as well as conflicts of interest stemming from 45's failure to divest. Obtaining these records would be the basis of the first steps to impeachment. Here's how you can help support it.
- Call/fax your representative. The resolution is currently with the House Judiciary Committee, which must debate and act on the resolution within 14 days. Call your representative and ask them to support the resolution:
- See if your representative is on the Judiciary Committee:
- Use the links below to call your representative using one of the scripts provided, depending on whether or not they are a member of the committee:
- Find your representative: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
- Scripts: https://www.theloyalopposition.net/daily-ctas/daily-call-action-february-13-2013/#script
- See if your representative is on the Judiciary Committee:
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell the House to support the resolution: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/investigate-trump-and-1
Chris Wallace Interview
On Sunday, Chris Wallace interviewed White House Senior Advisor Stephen Miller and failed to ask any substantive questions or hold the administration accountable for its actions. Here's how you can help remind him of our expectations for the next time he interviews someone in 45’s administration.
- Contact Fox News. Use the links below to contact Fox News and tell them that we expect better from journalists using the provided script:
- Click the mail icon in the upper right corner: http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-news-sunday-chris-wallace/
- Script: https://damselsindefiance.org/event/enabling-campaign-chris-wallace/
- Tweet. Copy and paste the following Tweets to tell Fox News to start asking real questions:
We expected so much better from you on @FoxNewsSunday. Start asking the questions we need answers for & not pandering #TheDames
Please @FoxNewsSunday stop allowing for a platform to cast doubts on the integrity of the media. You are better then that #TheDames
A case is now before the U.S. Supreme Court that seeks a revote of the 2016 federal elections (primary and general). The lawsuit argues that the 2016 elections should be declared void (learn more at www.revote.info). Here's how you can help support the case.
- Attend the revote vigil and rally. The Supreme Court will review the revote case on Monday, February 20th. The night before, at 6pm, a candlelight vigil will be held outside the Supreme Court, followed by a rally on Monday at noon. Learn more and RSVP here:
- Tweet. Copy and paste the Tweet below to spread the word about the revote:
.@RevoteCoalition fighting for a revote of 2016 elections. #GoingtoSC #Redo2016Election #Revote2016 #NewElection #SeeUatSupremeCourt
- Sign the petition. Sign this petition to tell the Supreme Court that you support the revote:
Republicans in Congress are determined to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Last week, Tom Price was confirmed as Secretary of Health and Human Services. Price was handpicked by 45 to jump-start the process of dismantling the ACA. Here's how you can help protect it.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress to protect and expand the ACA instead of repealing it: http://www.dsausa.org/sign-health-care
- Take a pledge. Sign this pledge to be a healthcare champion and help protect every American's right to healthcare: https://actionnetwork.org/forms/take-the-pledge-become-a-healthcare-champion
- 2018 Elections - Swing Left: Last night, more than 17,000 people joined Swing Left's Kickoff Call to learn about their plans to win back the House in 2018 by engaging with swing districts throughout the U.S. Here are three ways you can help them get started right now:
- Congressional Recess - The United State of Women Tele-Townhall: Wednesday, February 15th, at 7pm ET/4pm PT, The United State of Women is holding a tele-townhall to discuss everything you need to organize your community during the upcoming Congressional recess. Special guest speakers will include Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Representative Pramila Japayapal, Cecile Richards from Planned Parenthood, and leaders from the Women's March and Indivisible. Register for the call here: https://www.theunitedstateofwomen.org/townhall/
- Save the Date - Center for American Progress Action Fund Webinar - February 28th at 8pm ET/5pm PT, the Center for American Progress Action Fund is holding a webinar to discuss the polling they did on how 2018 battleground state voters want their senators to hold 45 accountable. An RSVP link is coming soon (I will share it here when I have it). In the meantime, learn more about the polls here:
- Knowledge is Power - Missing Members of Congress: If you're having trouble contacting your members of Congress (and if you live here in Pennsylvania, I know you are), check out Indivisible's "Missing Members of Congress Action Plan" for tips on how to get their attention:
- Petition - Stop the Lies: MoveOn.org estimates that in 71 days, 45 has told 82 untruths, exaggerations, and falsehoods. Sign this petition to tell 45 to stop the lies coming from his administration: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/mr-trump-please-stop
- Fun and Games - Humble Freedom Bundle: Download some fun PC games and support the ACLU, Doctors without Borders, and the International Rescue Committee with the Humble Freedom Bundle. Learn more and get the bundle here: