Secretary of Education: Betsy DeVos
Early this morning, the senate voted to advance the vote on Betsy DeVos to a final confirmation vote, which is expected Monday. This week, two Republican senators announced that they will vote no on DeVos. One more Republican vote would block her confirmation. Here's how you can help block DeVos.
- Call your senators. Use this form to call your senators and tell them to oppose DeVos: http://act.standupamerica.com/page/content/stop-devos/
National Security Council: Steve Bannon
Recently, Trump gave white nationalist propaganda pusher, Steve Bannon, a seat on the National Security Council, de-emphasizing the roles of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of National Intelligence. On Wednesday, Florida Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy filed a bill to remove Bannon from the NSC. Here's how you can help oppose Bannon.
- Call the Senate Committee on Homeland Security. The Senate Committee on Homeland Security is taking calls about Bannon's appointment to the NSC. Call 202-224-4751 and leave a message using the script below:
My name is [YOUR NAME], I live in [CITY, STATE], and I oppose Steve Bannon for National Security Council.
- Email the Senate Committee on Homeland Security. Use the link below to email the Senate Committee on Homeland Security, and copy and paste the following message:
I am writing to express my concern and strong objection to the appointment of Bannon to the NSC - at the same time that people with actual expertise (chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence) were shifted to a smaller role. This action makes America less safe.
Labor Secretary: Andrew Puzder
The Senate is scheduled to hold confirmation hearings on Andrew Puzder for U.S. Labor Secretary on February 14th. Puzder is the CEO of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's, and he has a long history of being anti-wage earner and of worsening working conditions. He has been quoted as saying that he would rather replace human staff with machines. He opposes earned paid sick days, raising the minimum wage, and expanding overtime protection, and he has even gone on record as saying that he opposes meal and rest breaks. Here's how you can help block Puzder.
- Email the Senate. Use this form to email the Senate and tell them to oppose Puzder: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/reject_puzder/
The Dakota Access Pipeline
The Standing Rock Sioux tribe won a huge victory when the Army Corps of Engineers agreed to halt construction on the Dakota Access Pipeline while they conducted an Environmental Impact Statement. The public was supposed to have until February 20th to submit our comments, but last week, Trump ordered the Army Corps to green light the DAPL, and now, the government’s comment webpage doesn’t even work. Here's how you can help delay construction of the pipeline.
- Submit a public comment. Other98 has built their own comment page, and they've joined with Iraq Veterans Against the War to personally deliver comments to the Army Corps of Engineers. Submit your comment here: https://other98action.org/take-action-write-your-dapl-public-comment-to-the-army-corps-of-engineers-now/
Congress has pledged to repeal protections against harmful pollution that could damage our environment and contribute to climate change. Here are some ways you can help stop them.
- Email Trump. Use this form to email Trump and tell him to stop putting big oil companies before the American people: https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app322a?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4157
- Email your representatives. Use this form to email your representatives and tell them not to undo the Obama administration's rule that made natural gas companies pay for taking gas from public lands: http://action.foe.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=21046
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress not to use the Congressional Review Act to dismantle climate protections: https://www.ofa.us/speak-out-against-cra-abuse/
Trump and the conservative Congress have already taken steps to restrict women's rights to abortion and birth control. Here are some ways you can help protect these rights.
- Email your representatives. Members of Congress are moving quickly to dismantle President Obama's rule protecting the Title X family planning program. If successful, they could block people's access to preventive care at a health center just because it also provides safe, legal abortion. Use this form to email your representatives in Congress and tell them to protect Title X: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app259b?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=21271
- Share your story. Trump and Congress have made it clear that they plan to "defund" Planned Parenthood. Share your story to let them know why you stand with Planned Parenthood: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/SPageServer/?pagename=pp_ppaf_WeWontGoBack_storybank_temp
- Sign a petition. Trump just signed an executive action reinstating the global gag rule, a policy that bars foreign aid from going to any NGO that provides abortion services, or even so much as discusses abortion as an option for family planning. Sign this petition to tell Trump that you're one of the 7 in 10 Americans who support safe, legal abortion: http://actnow.prochoiceamerica.org/signup/170124_7in10_ck/
Trump has been making unsubstantiated claims that there was widespread voter fraud during the 2016 general election. His accusations are reckless because not only are they unfounded, but they undermine faith in our most fundamental expression of democratic freedom. These bogus claims are often used to justify voter suppression with measures such as voter ID requirements. Here are some ways you can help prevent voter suppression.
- Call your state representatives. Find out if you live in a state with a voter ID law here: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/voter-id.aspx
If you do, find your state representatives at the following link, then call them using the script below: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
My name is [your name], and I’m one of [representative’s] constituents. [If you’re leaving a message, include your address and ZIP code.] I’m calling to ask that [representative] repeal legislation in our state restricting voters’ access to the ballot box. While cases of voter fraud in US elections are extremely rare, ID laws place a disproportionate burden on minorities, young voters, as well as the poor and the elderly. Will you please share my message with [representative]?
- Register to vote. If you're not already registered to vote, do it now: https://www.vote.gov/
- Pledge to help others vote. If you live in a state with a voter ID law, sign up with VoteRiders and pledge to help drive friends and family to get valid IDs in time for the next election: http://www.voteriders.org/pledge
- Muslim Ban: Today, a federal judge imposed a nationwide hold on Trump's Muslim ban, siding with two states that had challenged the executive order. However, White House spokesman, Sean Spicer, has already announced Trump's plans to fight it. The temporary hold will remain in place while the judge considers a Washington state lawsuit against the ban. Sign this petition to stand with Senator Dick Durbin in telling the world that we oppose the ban: https://durbin.cp.bsd.net/page/signup/tell-the-world-you-oppose-the-muslim-ban
- General Strike: A grassroots movement is calling for a general strike throughout the country on February 17th. Learn more and RSVP here: http://f17strike.com/
- Trump's Tax Returns: 3 out of 4 Americans want to see Trump's tax returns. Sign this petition to tell him to release them: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/demand-donald-trump-release-his-tax-returns
- Trump's Twitter Account: The CEO of Twitter recently condemned Trump's Muslim ban. Sign this petition to ask Twitter to shut down Trump's account: https://actionsprout.io/0086CE/initial