In a Facebook post on February 7, King outlined her advice for the resistance. Number one read, "Use his name sparingly so as not to detract from the issues. I believe that everyone, regardless of their beliefs, deserves the dignity of being called by their name. However, this is a strategic tactic. While we are so focused on him we are prone to neglect the questionable policies that threaten freedom, justice, and fairness advanced by the administration." Read the rest here:
Table of Contents (Click to Jump)
- 45's Conflicts of Interest
- 45's Cabinet
- LGBTQ Issues
- The Environment
- Knowledge is Power
- Upcoming Events
You may have heard of mass ICE raids taking place in multiple states, including California and Texas. Here is some information that you can share with your friends and family to help protect undocumented immigrants in your area from raids and deportation.
- Know Your Rights: This link from Voto Latino provides helpful advice for multiple types of situations: http://votolatino.org/initiative/know-your-rights/
- Deportation Defense Card: This downloadable card provides United We Dream's phone hotline, where trained volunteers are available to help explain what to do next for people who qualify for DACA or DAPA: http://unitedwedream.org/get-free-deportation-defense-card/
The federal court recently denied an appeal to reinstate 45's unconstitutional Muslim ban. However, there is talk of 45 issuing another executive order regarding immigration to the U.S. Here's how you can help fight against another Muslim ban:
- Sign a petition. Sign these petitions opposing the Muslim ban:
- From Seantor Dick Durbin: https://durbin.cp.bsd.net/page/signup/investigate-the-muslim-ban
- From Voto Latino:
- Fill out a survey. Congressman Darrell Issa is taking a survey about public opinion on the Muslim ban. Fill it out to let him know that you oppose it: https://issa.house.gov/news-room/in-the-news/trump-travel-ban-what-do-you-think
Ties to Russia
It was recently uncovered that National Security Adviser Michael Flynn privately discussed U.S. sanctions against Russia with that country's ambassador in the month before 45 took office. Also, US investigators have corroborated some of the communications detailed in a dossier containing allegations that Russian operatives have compromising personal and financial information about 45. Here's how you can keep up the pressure on Congress to investigate 45's ties to Russia.
- Tweet the Senate Intelligence Committee: Click the links on this page to Tweet members of the Senate Intelligence Committee and tell them to investigate:
The Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act of 2017
Legislation is currently under consideration in both the House and the Senate, which would require the president to divest financial assets that create a conflict of interest. Unlike all previous presidents, 45 has declined to do so, and instead has created a revocable trust in favor of his sons to run his business, an arrangement deemed inadequate by ethics experts. Here's how you can help get the act passed:
- Call your members of Congress. Use the form and scripts on this page to call your members of Congress and urge them to support the Presidential Conflicts of Interest Act of 2017:
National Security Council: Steve Bannon
Congresswoman Stephanie Murphy recently introduced a bill in the House of Representatives that would remove the ultra right-wing white nationalist, Steve Bannon, from the National Security Council. Here's how you can help get the bill passed.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress to support the bill:
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Tom Price
Tom Price, now Secretary of Health and Human Services, blocked regulations to make healthcare cheaper for the average American while investing in the very companies that profited from his legislation. Here's how you can help get Price investigated.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to demand that Congress investigate Price's potentially illegal deals and stop him from abusing his new position: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/tell-congress-and-the-4
First Amendment Defense Act
Conservative extremists in Congress plan to re-introduce the "First Amendment Defense Act," which would effectively legalize anti-LGBTQ discrimination under the guise of "religious liberty." Here's how you can help stop this act from being passed.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress to oppose the act:
Election Assistance Commission
The Election Assistance Commission (EAC) is the federal agency charged with testing and certifying voting machines, helping states improve how elections are run, and getting information out to the public about voting. On Tuesday, House Republicans voted to defund the EAC. Here's how you can help protect it.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to call on Congress to fully fund the EAC:
People with Disabilities
Congress has taken its first steps to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and restructure medicaid. These actions could put health services for people with disabilities in serious jeopardy. Here's how you can help.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress that health services are vital to people with disabilities and their families: http://www.easterseals.com/get-involved/advocacy/medicaid-petition.html
45 has threatened to withdraw the U.S. from the Paris Climate Agreement. Nearly every nation on earth signed the agreement, making historic commitments to reduce carbon pollution and avert climate catastrophe. Here's how you can help stop 45 from withdrawing.
- Email 45. Use this form to send an email to 45 and tell him not to abandon the Paris Climate Agreement: https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app330a?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4184
Knowledge is Power
Join these upcoming conference calls for information and planning for the resistance.
- MomsRising #KeepMarching Telephone Town Hall: On Tuesday, February 21, at 9pm ET/6pm PT, MomsRising is holding a Telephone Town Hall to share simple, easy-to-use tips about some of their favorite organizing and advocacy tactics with members who are ready to do more. Register here:
- MoveOn.org Ready to Resist Emergency Call: Sunday, February 12, at 8pm ET/5pm PT MoveOn.org is holding their third Emergency Call to lay out their plan for the upcoming February congressional recess, when we'll have the opportunity to speak directly with members of Congress as they return home from Washington. Register here:
Read the following materials for information and advice for the resistance.
- Organizaing for Action Congressional Recess Toolkit: Read this toolkit for tips on how to talk to your members of Congress during the upcoming recess. Download the PDF here:
- The Iron Heel: Jack London's The Iron Heel is set in a dystopian future America, which has evolved into a fascist tyranny, ruthlessly crushing dissent and opposition. This may offer a glimpse into our future if we don't resist. Find it in a local bookstore, or order it from Amazon here: http://a.co/6ppj3iM
Rallies and Protests
Here are some resources where you can find upcoming rallies and protests near you.
- #ResistTrump Spreadsheet: This spreadsheet provides information and links to upcoming protests all over the country:
- United We Dream Calendar: This tool allows you to search for rallies, protests, and vigils near you in support of immigrants and refugees: https://action.unitedwedream.org/calendars/global-day-to-protect-immigrants-refugees
- RiseStronger's The People's Calendar: This tool allows you to search for any political or issue oriented event in your area: https://www.risestronger.org/events
- Townhall Project: This link has been shared before, but pay close attention to it next week during the Congressional recess:
These events provide useful information and advice for the resistance.
- From Mass Incarceration of Japanese Americans to the Muslim Ban (San Francisco): On Friday, February 17, at 6:15pm, Asian Americans Advancing Justice in San Francisco is screening the documentary, America's Concentration Camps Then... and Now? followed by a panel discussion with Don Tamaki, Imam Zaid Shakir, and other leaders from the Japanese American and Muslim American communities. RSVP to the event here:
Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi has made brave statements against 45's Muslim ban, yet 45's hotels still appear on Expedia's reservation platform. Here's how you can help get Expedia to drop 45.
- Contact Expedia. Use the contact information and script on this page to contact Expedia by phone, email, and social media and tell them to drop 45's hotels from their reservation platform: http://www.bros4america.com/action-alert-tell-expedia-to-dump-donald-trumps-hotels/
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Expedia to stop listing and booking 45's properties on any of their websites or apps: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/ask-expedia-to-dump-trump
Arts and Humanities
45's administration has introduced a budget that would cut all funding for the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), organizations that promote innovative and creative expression, cultural and artistic understanding, and scholarly research as a basis for an informed democracy. Here's how you can help protect them.
- Sign a petition. Sign this petition to tell Congress to oppose 45's budget that defunds the NEA and NEH: https://www.signherenow.org/petition/save-endowments/fp/
New England Patriots
New England Patriots running back, LeGarrette Blount, and defensive tackle, Alan Branch, just announced that they are joining Martellus Bennett, Devin McCourty, Dont'a Hightower, and Chris Long in boycotting 45's White House after their Super Bowl win. By refusing to visit the White House, they're making a bold rebuke of 45's administration. Here's how you can thank them.
- Sign a card. Use this form to sign a thank you card to all of the members of the New England Patriots who refused to visit the White House: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/stand-for-something/