Tonight, Trump announced that his Supreme Court pick is radical right-wing extremist, Neil Gorsuch. Here are some facts about Gorsuch:
- As an attorney, Gorsuch routinely represented big businesses in class action lawsuits.
- As a judge, he wrote a concurring opinion in Hobby Lobby v. Sebelius, the case that allowed employers to deny basic healthcare coverage to women.
- As a member of the "Federalist Society," he believes in severely restricting the power that federal agencies have to regulate businesses.
- Gorsuch's judicial record is hostile toward LGBT people. Through his decisions, he has promoted a vision of a society where the religious beliefs of employers can trump the law.
- He backed politicians trying to defund Planned Parenthood, and he embraces anti-choice rhetoric.
Here are some ways you can help block Gursuch's confirmation:
- Call your senators. Use one of the following forms to call your senators and tell them to oppose Gorsuch:
From Weekly Actions to Resist Trump: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
From the National Abortion Federation: http://cqrcengage.com/prochoice/app/make-a-call?4&engagementId=285133
- Email your senators. Use the following forms to email your senators and tell them to oppose Gorsuch:
From Planned Parenthood: http://d.shpg.org/266706267f
From Everytown for Gun Safety: http://act.everytown.org/go/3759
From the Sierra Club: https://sierra.secure.force.com/actions/National?actionId=AR0067620
- Sign a petition. Sign these petitions against Gorsuch:
From the Democratic National Committee: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/reject-gorsuch
From People for the American Way: https://secure.pfaw.org/site/SPageNavigator/action.html?survey_id=11726
From Ultraviolet: https://act.weareultraviolet.org/sign/scotus_filibuster/
- Get rid of Steve Bannon. This past weekend, Trump removed the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Director of National Intelligence from the National Security Council, and he replaced them with Steve Bannon. Bannon has no government, intelligence, or high-level military experience. His experience is leading a propaganda outlet, Breitbart News, which peddles nationalist and white nationalist viewpoints. Sign this petition to tell Trump that Bannon has no business in the White House: https://www.splcenter.org/stephen-bannon-has-no-business-white-house
- Help Chuck Schumer grow some backbone. Democratic Senate Leader, Chuck Schumer, has voted in favor of three of Trump's cabinet nominees. Use this Amazon registry to send him a gift and remind him what courage looks like: https://www.amazon.com/wedding/chuck-schumer-progressive-democrats-washington-january-2017/registry/AXMYTVVE5QQE
- Oppose Ajit Pai. New FCC Chairman, Ajit Pai, may destroy Net Neutrality. In his time as FCC commissioner, he voted against every common sense safeguard and for every massive merger. He's a former corporate lawyer for Verizon and aide to Jeff Sessions, whom Pai has endorsed for attorney general. Use the links below to Tweet Pai and tell him to leave our online rights alone:
Don't Trump the internet: https://act.freepress.net/go/16639?t=1&akid=6051.10634669.slbodC
Don't roll back our online rights: https://act.freepress.net/go/16640?t=2&akid=6051.10634669.slbodC
Recap of Trump's unconstitutional Muslim ban from American Friends Service Committee:
- Late Friday evening, Trump signed an executive order ending the Syrian Refugee program, suspending visas from seven majority-Muslim countries, and temporarily halting refugee resettlement.
- On Saturday, people who were already traveling from those countries when the order was signed were detained at numerous airports, sparking large protests at those airports as well as at the White House, the Capitol, and in cities and towns across the country. Chaos and confusion erupted around the globe as hundreds, including children and grandparents, were held in detention, deported, or prevented from boarding flights to the U.S. Late Saturday night, federal judges in New York, Virginia, and Massachusetts ordered a temporary halt to the order for those who had valid visas.
- On Sunday, large protests at airports continued, with shouts of "No Hate, No Fear, Immigrants are Welcome Here!" Meanwhile, in multiple cases Customs and Border Patrol agents refused to follow the judge's orders to allow those with valid visas to enter, even when confronted by members of Congress at Dulles airport. The administration was silent on the matter.
- Monday it was revealed that the order was written without input from the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or the Secretary of State nominee. Instead, Attorney General nominee Jeff Sessions and white nationalist Trump advisors Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon, were the primary authors. Monday evening it was announced that 100 State Department officials signed a "dissent memo" against the administration's policy.
- Monday evening, Acting Attorney General Sally Yates announced that she would not defend the executive order, saying, “I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution’s solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right. I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities, nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful.” President Trump fired her hours later, saying that she had "betrayed the Department of Justice."
Here are some ways you can help fight against the Muslim ban:
- Save this number. If you see or hear of anyone being detained at an airport under Trump's Muslim ban, call the ACLU hotline at (415) 621-2488.
- Call your Democratic Senators. Use the following link and the script below to call your senators and tell them to delay any additional cabinet nominees' votes until Trump lifts the ban, and to support Chuck Schumer's bill to repeal the ban: https://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/
My name is [your name], and I'm a constituent of [Senator]. I'm calling to ask the Senator to support Charles Schumer's call to block all remaining cabinet votes until Donald Trump lifts the travel ban on Muslim immigrants and refugees, and to support any repeal of the ban that Democrats introduce in Congress. What is [Senator]'s position on this issue?
- Call your members of Congress. Use one of these forms to call your members of congress and urge them to oppose the ban:
From Save the Children Action Network: http://action.savethechildrenactionnetwork.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=20744
From Organizing for Action: https://www.ofa.us/call-to-end-the-ban/
You can also call the Captiol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and use the following script:
My name is _____, and I'm from (city/town and ZIP code). I am calling to ask the member to act strongly to protect a core value of our democracy by holding the Trump administration accountable for violating court orders to halt implementation of some aspects of his "Muslim ban." I also ask that they support legislation overturning this dangerous, ill-conceived executive order entirely.
- Call the White House and Congress. Use the following phone numbers and script to call the White House and your members of Congress, and tell them that you support refugee resettlement in the US:
The White House: (866) 961-4293
Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121
I’m your constituent from [City, State], and I support refugee resettlement in the U.S. I am strongly opposed to President Trump’s announcements to stop the resettlement of refugees from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen; pause the refugee resettlement program entirely; preference religious minorities; and reduce the number of refugees we welcome. This discriminatory announcement is morally reprehensible, runs counter to who we are as a nation, and does not reflect the welcome for refugees I see in my community every day. I urge you to do everything in your power to see this announcement reversed.
- Email your members of Congress. Use the forms below to email your members of congress and tell them to oppose the ban:
From MomsRising: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/rescind_muslim_ban/
From ACLU Action: https://ssl.capwiz.com/aclu-action/issues/alert/?alertid=75062626
- Postcard avalanche! Freelance writer, Winona Dimeo-Ediger, shared the following Facebook post on Sunday:
Paul Ryan and Mike Pence both spoke out against the #muslimban before it became a real thing. Now they've changed their story. This weekend my brother and I turned their hypocritical tweets into a shit ton of postcards to flood their mailboxes. People were asking for a printable template so here you go!
You can print these 4x6 postcards on cardstock or cut them out and glue to notecards. Contact info is included. Highly recommend using a red marker to add commentary. Remind these cowards that it's not too late to do the right thing. Let me know if you have any trouble downloading and FEEL FREE TO SHARE! #NoBanNoWall #Resist
Use this link to print out the templates and send your postcards: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-fZaGpeMf4jNm00SHl0YUZNdUk
- Tweet the White House and Trump. Tweet a selfie to the White House and Trump using the hashtag #SolidaritySelfie. Write a short note on a piece of paper, like, "Refugees Welcome," "Here to Stay," or "I stand with immigrants." Take a photo of yourself holding the paper and Tweet it to @Whitehouse and @realDonaldTrump. You use one of the suggested Tweets below:
.@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Don't stop welcoming refugees. Resettlement demonstrates the best of our values #SolidaritySelfie
.@realDonaldTrump & @WhiteHouse Keep America welcoming. Refugee resettlement is a proud American legacy with bipartisan support #SolidaritySelfie
- Sign petitions. Sign the following petitions opposing the ban:
From Democracy for America: http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/muslim_ban_shutdown/
From George Takei: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/882/936/102/sign-george-takeis-petition-against-the-internment-of-muslims-in-the-u.s./
Here are some ways you can help protect the environment from Trump and the Republican Congress:
- Federal Regulations: Republican representatives are seeking to undo two key protections: the Stream Protection Rule, a commonsense clean-water regulation; and the BLM Methane and Waste Prevention Rule, which would make our air cleaner by requiring oil and gas operators to reduce wasteful pollution. Their weapon of choice is the Congressional Review Act, a back-door tactic that allows Congress to erase recently finalized protections with little debate and zero public input. Use these forms to email your members of Congress and tell them to oppose any efforts to remove these safeguards:
From Earthjustice: https://secure.earthjustice.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=1942
From EDF Action: https://secure2.edf.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2886
- The Dakota Access Pipeline: As of January 1, 2017, the DAPL has been in breach of contract to its oil company clients and the banks who are financing its construction. We can starve the DAPL of the money it needs to survive. Use this form to email Citibank, TD Bank, and Wells Fargo – three of DAPL’s most critical funders – and tell them to pull funding from the pipeline ship now: https://other98action.org/defund-the-dakota-access-pipeline/?link_id=1&can_id=90df5f321fca2c991f46fe40365d958b
- Climate Change: With global temperatures nearing a tipping point, it's critical that we act now to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Sign this letter to Trump telling him to act now to fight climate change: http://www.314action.org/take-action2/2016/11/29/sign-our-letter-to-the-trump-transition
- Knowledge is power. Trump's first 10 days in office have been a whirlwind. Things are happening very quickly, and it's easy to get overwhelmed. The Daily WTF helps you stay informed about everything that Trump and his cronies are up to every day. Subscribe here: https://whatthefuckjusthappenedtoday.com/
- Protect reproductive rights. Anti-women's health members of Congress have just announced that they are moving quickly to dismantle President Obama's rule protecting the Title X family planning program. If successful, this would embolden extremist politicians to block people's access to preventive care at a health center just because that center also provides safe, legal abortion. Use this form to email your members of Congress and tell them to protect the Title X family planning program: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=00000000.app259b?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=21271
- Protect civil rights. Hours after being sworn in, Trump announced that he’s planning on cutting the funding of the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice as a part of a $1 billion cut this fiscal year. This division is responsible for protecting the rights of all Americans, including people of color, women, and people with disabilities. Sign this petition to tell Congress to stand up for civil rights: https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/save-civil-rights-division-stop-trumps-racism-now/
- Support the revote. A case for a revote of the US presidential election has made it to the Supreme Court. Revote.info is organizing a candlelight vigil outside the Supreme Court on Sunday, February 19th, and they're asking for help getting the word out to the media. A conference call has been scheduled for Thursday, February 2nd, for anyone interested in helping. To request the call-in information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.