Yesterday, Trump signed an executive order banning citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US, including those with valid US visas. Today, refugees, students, and travelers returning home were detained at airports, as protesters gathered to demand that they be released and allowed to remain in the country.
The ACLU immediately filed a lawsuit on behalf of two individuals who were detained in New York City. A federal judge granted their request for a nationwide temporary injunction, which will block deportation of everyone stranded in US airports under the ban.
However, the fight is not over. The injunction is only temporary, and we must keep standing up against Trump's anti-Muslim ban. Below are some ways that you can help.
- Join a protest. Earlier today, airport protests were organized all over the country, most notably at JFK Airport in New York City. Several other cities have protests scheduled for the new few days. Here is a comprehensive list: http://getgroundgame.com/airportprotests.html
- Call your legislators. Use this form and script to call your local elected officials and demand that they oppose Trump's immigration ban: https://act.mpowerchange.org/call/call-reject-muslim-ban/
You can also find contact information for your local elected officials at the following link, and use the script below, courtesy of Muslim Matters: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Hi, my name is _______ and I’m a constituent of Representative _______/ Senator _________. I’m calling because I’m concerned about President Donald Trump signing an executive order restricting immigration from Muslim majority countries and ending the Syrian refugee resettlement program. This executive order goes against our shared American values of religious tolerance, diversity, and nondiscrimination.
I’m calling to see if Rep. _________ / Senator ___________ plans to publicly oppose Trump’s decision to sign this executive order?
[If there are any questions, reiterate your concerns.] Yes, please express to Rep. ______/ Sen. ________ that Trump’s executive order doesn’t represent our values, and that I am asking him/her to take a principled, public stand against this kind of intolerance.
Thanks for your time.
- Email your legislators. Use this form to send an email to your local elected officials and tell them to oppose Trump's immigration ban: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-push-back-on-trumps-muslim-ban
- Donate. The ACLU are continuing their legal efforts to fight for those affected by the immigration ban. Donate to help fund their ongoing court costs: https://action.aclu.org/donate-aclu
- Sign petitions. Below are three petitions created to demand that Trump rescind the immigration ban:
- The deadline for open enrollment in Obamacare is January 31st. Healthcare.gov's promotional video contains helpful information for those who still need to apply. Use the links below to share it with your friends and family on social media.
- Monday, January 30th, at 8pm ET/5pm PT, join Moms Rising, Black Women's Health Imperative, and Dr. Aletha Maybank in a Twitter chat to discuss the impact of the ACA and Medicaid on maternal health. See the image below for more information:
- If the ACA is repealed, millions of women will lose reproductive healthcare coverage. The Nurx app is an easy and affordable way to have prescription birth control mailed to your door. Please share this information with your friends and family: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603382/this-app-will-be-a-game-changer-for-getting-birth-control-without-the-aca/
- On Jan. 24, Trump issued a memorandum calling for the Army Corps of Engineers to ditch the Environmental Impact Statement process and approve the Dakota Access Pipeline. Federal courts have previously ruled that agency decisions cannot be reversed simply because a new president is in power. If Trump’s order is not legally actionable, now through February 20th is the only chance we will have to push for a full review of the pipeline’s climate impacts.
Thursday, Timothy Vail, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Military Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works), confirmed that public input is now being accepted. This article outlines how you can submit a public comment against the DAPL: http://www.yesmagazine.org/people-power/dont-let-trump-distract-you-public-comment-on-dapl-is-now-open-20170125
- Protesters on the ground at Standing Rock have organized a national conference call to provide some updates on their organizing plans and how allies can help. The call is on Wednesday, February 1st, at 8pm ET/5pm PT. You can register for the call here: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/428e196e7514e4ed8c34be5db4a05ad8
- Another Native American tribe, the Ramapough Lunaape, are currently protesting the Pilgrim Pipeline in Mahwah, New Jersey. Learn more about their fight and sign a petition against the pipeline here: https://actionsprout.io/289642/initial
- The Teachers March on Washington has been scheduled for July 15th. Learn more and RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1843409599262929/
- Several other protest marches are currently in the works across the country. View a list of upcoming marches and RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-ascent-of-the-resistance/list-of-dates-for-marches/1330203373721732
Knowledge is Power:
- Sometimes resistance is joining a protest, making a call, or writing a letter, and sometimes it's a state of mind. Read more about how you can resist in small ways every day here: https://medium.com/@Ilysehogue/daily-acts-of-resistance-protests-are-about-what-you-do-resistance-is-about-who-you-are-d914a3f99564
- Freepress recommends reading News for All the People: The Epic Story of Race and the American Media by Joseph Torres. Buy it at your local bookstore, or order it on Amazon at this link: https://www.amazon.com/News-All-People-Story-American/dp/1844671119
- If you're interested in organizing a grassroots activist group in your area, check out Indivisible's "Group Leader Toolkit" for help getting started: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/group-toolkit
- Trump is about to nominate someone to fill Antonin Scalia's Supreme Court seat. Trump has promised that he will nominate someone ready to follow in Scalia's extremist footsteps. Sign this petition to tell Senate Democratic Leader, Chuck Schumer, and all Democratic senators to block any Supreme Court nominee who won't stand with the American people: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/defend_SCOTUS
- Trump’s nominee to lead the Office of Budget and Management, Mick Mulvaney, is advocating for massive cuts to Social Security. Sign this petition to oppose Mulvaney and protect Social Security: http://go.boldpac.com/page/s/protect-social-security
- MoveOn.org is holding an emergency conference call tomorrow at 8pm ET/5pm PT to discuss their plans for the next Resist Trump Tuesdays event. You can register for the call here: https://act.moveon.org/survey/readytoresist/
- Steve Bannon, White House Senior Strategist, recently told the media to "shut up," and described them as "the opposition." Send him the text of the First Amendment to remind him how things work in this country.
Step 1 - Write the text of the First Amendment on a postcard:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Step 2 - Mail your postcard to:
c/o The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW
Washington, DC 20500
- A petition to impeach Trump has recently been gaining some ground. Here's another one with the same goal: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/707/508/189/impeach-trump/
- Trump's proposed budget cuts are going after funding for Violence Against Women grants, environmental protection, the Paris agreement on climate change, and plans to privatize the Corporation for Public Broadcasting while completely eliminating the National Endowments for the Arts and the Humanities. Sign this petition to tell Democratic Congressional leadership to oppose Trump's cuts: https://act.credoaction.com/sign/trump_cuts
- Recently, Trump issued a gag order shutting down the social media pages of several federal agencies. Since then, many of them have created rogue Twitter profiles, which are unaffiliated with any government agency. They're being called the "Twistance" (Twitter + Resistance). If you're on Twitter, consider following them to show your support. You can find a list of them here: https://twitter.com/stollmeyereu/lists/twistance/members
- Citing Donald Trump, Carlsbad, NM City Councilor, JR Doporto, used Facebook to issue a warning to women participating in last weekend's marches around the country: "I suggest you stop your bitching/protesting during this time. Because you also have a right to get slapped [sic]"
He also suggests marchers go back to the kitchen: "Just want to give a heads up to the women! You have rights! A right to cook and a right to clean!"
Given the chance to apologize, he told people to ignore his posts then added even more. Sign this petition to tell Councilor JR Doporto that it's time to resign: http://act.progressnownm.org/signup/actionsprout-doporto/