Two federal judges have granted injunctions against Trump's unconstitutional Muslim ban. Earlier today, Acting Attorney General Sally Yates told the Justice Department not to defend the ban; she was later fired. A few Democratic members of Congress have announced bills to rescind the ban. We must keep standing up against this unconstitutional executive order in the days to come. Below are some ways you can help.
- Donate. Here are some organizations that are fighting Trump's Muslim ban. Make a donation to one or more of them to help with legal costs:
- Call your legislators and tell them to oppose the ban. Find your local elected officials at the following link and call them using the script below: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Hello, my name is [your name] and I'm a constituent of [rep's name] from [your city, state and ZIP]. I'm calling to ask [rep] to make a public statement denouncing Donald Trump's executive order banning refugees and visitors from Muslim-majority countries from legally entering the United States. The ban unfairly targets people fleeing persecution, legal residents of the US, and others based on their religion -- a violation of one of our country's most sacred principles, religious freedom. Can I count on [rep] to make a statement on this?
- Become a citizen co-sponsor of Senator Chris Murphy's bill to overturn the ban by filling out this form: http://action.chrismurphy.com/page/s/ban-bill
- Sign this petition from Senator Al Franken to tell Trump to rescind his order: https://www.alfranken.com/landing/e170130/
- Sign this petition to tell all Democratic senators to speak out in opposition of the ban: https://act.justicedemocrats.com/nomuslimban/
- Oppose the wall. Additionally, Trump still plans to move ahead with his border wall plans. Use this form to email your legislators and tell them to oppose Trump's wall: https://www.afsc.org/action/take-action-to-stop-border-militarization
I joined in on Indivisible's emergency conference call tonight with the ACLU and various other organizations to discuss Trump's unconstitutional Muslim ban. One important thing that they mentioned is how exactly your senators can fight against Trump's Muslim ban. When you call, email, write, fax, or Tweet them, make sure you tell them to do the following:
- Withhold consent. Any single senator can "withhold consent," a procedural maneuver that puts Senate business on pause for days at a time. When Senate leadership asks for "unanimous consent" to move forward with business as usual, your senator should say, "I object." This will dramatically slow Trump’s other priorities from moving forward until he lifts this odious ban.
- No justice, no bills. Your senator should commit to filibustering every bill that comes up in the Senate until Trump’s illegal, unconstitutional executive order is rescinded. By filibustering, your senator can stop all of Trump’s future legislative priorities. The only bill that should be allowed to come to a vote is a bill ending the Muslim and refugee ban.
- There has been talk of Senate Democrats filibustering Trump's Supreme Court nominee, but not all of them are on board. Sign these two petitions to tell them not to give in:
- From Richard Greene: https://www.change.org/p/charles-schumer-stop-donald-trump-s-supreme-court-nominee
- From Democrats for America: http://act.democracyforamerica.com/sign/stop-trump-scotus/
- The confirmation hearing for Betsy DeVos has been rescheduled for tomorrow. Use this form to email your senators and tell them to vote no on DeVos: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/betsy-devos-is-not-qualified-to-be-secretary-of-education
- It seems that Senator Rand Paul is still undecided on DeVos. Use this information to call, email, or Tweet Paul and tell him to oppose DeVos: https://damselsindefiance.org/event/enabling-campaign-rand-paul/
- Donald Trump appointed "alt-right" leader, Steve Bannon, as the chief White House strategist and senior counselor. Further, just this last weekend, the New York Times reported that Trump signed an executive order giving Bannon full seat on the ‘principals committee’ of the National Security Council , while downgrading the roles of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence. Sign this petition to tell Trump and Congressional leaders to remove Bannon: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/bannon_trump/
- Oppose Jeff Sessions. Here are some actions you can take to help oppose the confirmation of Jeff Sessions for Attorney General:
- Use this form to call your senators and tell them to oppose Sessions: http://act.freepress.net/call/trump_sessions_ban/
You can also text SESSIONS to 73179 to connect to a member of the Judiciary Committee, or call 877-959-6082 and enter your zip code, then use the following script:
I urge Senator _______ to oppose the nomination of Jeff Sessions to be the next Attorney General. Jeff Sessions cannot be trusted to fairly enforce the law, particularly when it comes to holding anti-abortion extremists accountable for their criminal activities. Sessions is not fit to be Attorney General and I hope I can count on Senator _______ to vote against his nomination.
- Use this form to email your senators and tell them to oppose Sessions: https://act.hrc.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1954&ea.campaign.id=61489
- The Congressional Review Act allows Congress to strike down recently issued protections by a simple majority vote in both chambers with limited debate and no possibility of a filibuster. As a result, Americans could lose dozens of health, safety, pocketbook and environmental protections. Even worse, the CRA blocks agencies from issuing "substantially similar" rules without authorization from Congress. Use this form to email your members of Congress and tell them to oppose the Congressional Review Act: http://action.citizen.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=13409
- In 2016, the first-ever limits on the dangerous climate pollution that the oil and gas industry is leaking, venting, and flaring on our public and tribal lands were put into place. With one simple vote, Congress could roll back these standards and permanently block the Bureau of Land Management from ever putting these protections into law again without additional congressional action. Use this form to email your members of Congress and tell them to protect us from this assault on public health and environmental safeguards: http://support.edf.org/site/R?i=Px9riklo7Rv5LoPMyyDOJQ
- Conservative Republicans are proposing budget cuts to the Food Stamps that could cause 11 million people to lose their assistance. Sign this petition to demand that congressional Democrats and moderate Republicans block this budget plan: https://actionsprout.io/23F066/initial
- Another anti-Trump march on Washington has popped up: the Lawyers' March on Washington. It's scheduled for July 2nd at noon. You can learn more and RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/624252661080516/